Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with a MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
I'm sure a more experienced tuner will chime in but here's an elementary look at it from my part. If you haven't changed the injectors then I can't see why you'd want to tamper with the IFR. If the MAF is stock, again, why disrupt the MAF tables, I'm pretty sure the engineers at GM spent sufficient time in developing airflow tables to properly dial in the MAF. The 'simplest' way to change things then would be to tune your VE table since you altered the amount of air entering the engine at any given time via your Vararam. Neither the amount of fuel your injectors are spraying, nor the volume of air your MAF is calibrated to measure has changed, what your changed is the actual amount of air ingested by the engine at a given moment, hence the change in VE.

P.S. whatever you do, get a WBO2 first!

Originally Posted by slow
at steady state, the maf is being used for airflow calcs. So even with the VE table perfect, if the maf is not correct, your fuel trims will be off.

Ryan

Bingo. You can leave that MAF hooked up and tune your VE all day... watch nothing happen except at idle. I can assure you that most of your fueling error is coming from a difference in what your car needs vs. what the MAF is telling it that it needs.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a Google search for CPIG's HPTuners guide. Doesn't matter which tuner package your using it helps w/ basic steps on tuning VE, MAF & spark.

WB is preferred method but if you don't have one then you work w/ what you've got. Error on the safe side for any WOT/PE tuning I tuned w/out WB and got my VE & MAF pretty much dead on for normal driving. Confirmed when I installed WB and made hardly any changes. Anything below 4K was great. I was leaner than I wanted to be at WOT and I'm glad I've got the tool to check that now.

If you haven't changed injectors then my .02 is don't even go near the IFR or related tables.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is his guide:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Tuning Steps-1.doc (40.0 KB, 4605 views)