PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Autometer wideband users in here

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Default Autometer wideband users in here

I just installed an Autometer wideband into my car, it is the Ultra-Lite series. Anyway I want to make sure it functions correctly by seeing if everyone elses works the same way.

I hooked up the red and black wires to a hot and a ground obviously. I left the other wires alone since I won't be doing any data logging. But here is the kicker...before I had the sensor connected to the gauge it would read between 14.7-15.0. Now that i got the sensor and bung welded in and connected to the gauge it still reads between 14.7-15.0. Is this normal or should I be looking into this?
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

I found before the car is running it reads 14.7 on mine. Then when i start the car the AFR will read rich which is what you expect.
I believe it reads that until the wideband sensor heats up. As there is a heater in the make sure you have an adequate size fuse for it.
You didn't mention if you started the car or not, does the reading change when you do so?
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

I know it heats up the sensor when you first start the car. It does like a 20 second count down then starts reading the air/fuel.

Here is what I'm wondering though. Before I had the connected the sensor to the gauge it would read 14.7-15.0. And now that I have the sensor connected to the gauge it still reads the same? I'll start the car and it will do the countdown and start reading between 14.7-15.0. It just jumps around between that.
Old 04-16-2008 | 06:13 AM
TECH Resident

When the car is warning up it will be on Open Loop, and you should see a fixed AFR, perhaps 12 AFR or around there, and will gradually increase until warm.
Once the car is warm it will switch to closed loop, this used the reading from the O2's, and you will see the AFR reading oscillate around 14:7 AFR, perhaps swinging from 14:2 to 15:2.

The readings you are getting don't sound right. I think you need to look into that further. Have you got a good ground going to the Wide Band guage?
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

The power wire is ran straight to the fuse box along with my shift lights power wire. I used one of those piggy back type fuse things. It basically plugs into a regular fuse spot but the fuses actually plug into the back of it. Then I ran the ground down to an existing ground in the center console.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like it is working right to me. The Autometer wideband does a countdown while the sensor heats up. Then it should read close to stoich. If you rev it a little does it change? Typically just by blipping the throttle it should add enough air and fuel to move the A/F ratio from the 14.7 to 15.0 for a moment.

Quick Reply: Autometer wideband users in here