Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem...

Hey guys, for the past month my SES light has been on and the code was showing Low Activity in Bank 1 Sensor 1 for my o2 sensors. We replaced the o2 and got no change. Since I have Long Tube Headers we were using o2 extensions and thought maybe the problem was with the extensions. So we ordered and installed a corvette o2 sensor since it had a longer cable. This is when we noticed something very strange. While hooked up to the computer we were getting a reading from Bank 1 Sensor 1 even when it was not connected. All 4 o2s were reading around 453. When we plugged in the new o2 sensor the reading for bank 1 sensor 1 dropped to about 20-30. How is it possible for there to be a reading coming from a sensor that is not plugged into the vehicle? There is an o2 simulator being used for the rear 02s since the car has no cats but the rear o2s are being simulated, not the front. We tried driving the car with the o2 unplugged, got a code. Tried with it plugged in and got the same code as before, low activity. Is it possible that my computer is going bad/went bad? Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

with long tube headers I would plug all your 02s in, make sure that you have all of your front sensors plugged in to the correct harnesses and wires so that your sims aren't possibly wired into your front or anything. post up a picture of the log of the 02s activity on here.

and drive around with the 02s properly plugged in, if it still gives you the code... check your fueling with the SES code OFF and see what it is, or also kill your SES light by setting the DTC and MIL status of the 02s for low activity to NOT REPORTED, drive around and see what your AFR is, if your AFR is fine. leave them off.

headers cause a lot of problems with 02s, you say you have hooker headers, you may try getting someone to re-weld the bung and have it so that the 02 sticks farther in the exhaust stream
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, besides the welding I am going to give what you said a try. I am trying to sell it so the faster I can get the light to go off the better. Thanks for the reply!