Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X2 tunning nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G5X2 tunning nightmare!

Guys, I need some serious help tunning my buddies 02 WS6 A4 that just had a G5X2 (232/240 .595/.609 112+2), Patroit 5.3 heads, SVO 30# injectors, and Walbro 255 pump put in. He originally was tring to get a custom tune for his Predator but they never could get it right so he bought Edit. He brought it to me today to see what I could do with it. Can anyone tell me the percentage I need to multiply the flow rate table by to get it right? By using one of the .xls calculators out there, I cam up with 188.7% But it still is not running or idleing. I moved the idle up to 900. Here is the wierd thing though. I originally miscalculated the flow rate of the new injectors and put in 127%. This idled ok at 900rpm but was still setting misfires and smelled bad of raw gas in the exhaust. Atap was showing lterms of -2.2 and -1.9 and would not fluctuate with blips of the throttle. I decided to take it around the block and see if they would change under load. They didn't and the car was running extremely rough and missing. As I drove it for a few miles the lterms never changed but the car was starting to run better and didn't miss as much. After about ten miles the lterms suddenly jumped to -19/-20. Afew more miles down the road I stoped to turn around and the car dies and would not crank up. I finally get it cranked and head back for home while the car struggles to stay alive. Every since then the car will not stay running no matter what. I changed the flow rate to the 188.7% I mentioned earlier and it did not change but didnt smell near as strong of raw gas. We puled out one plug to check it and it was completely smutted up with carbon but was not wet or smelled stong of gas. The car sounds terriable too, like it is being dround or has no fire. Could we have fouled the plugs bad or messed up the O2s running so rich before? Any help would be much appriciated and a .ls1 file for this cam would be a God send.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

Default Re: G5X2 tunning nightmare!

probably going to have to get rid of the misfire detection for low and med rpm misfires. then, i have never tuned a cam that big, but for a 230/230 110lsa i tweaked the ve to get the idle not to surge and the rich smell to go away some. you can also raise the timing at idle to burn off the extra fuel.

good luck
Old 08-07-2003, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heh so you get to tune a A4 G5X-2 on a 112 also? Ain't it fun? :p

For the SVO 30#, I'm running them in my '98. My constants range from 4.07 (low end) to 4.45 (top end) in LS1Edit. These put me at just slightly negative LTrims.

As for tweaking the G5X-2 in an A4... I disabled misfire tests to get the torque converter to lock up. Car will be fine for a while, and then 'learn' its way to stumbling. I've got the idle at 925, and will probably go higher. IMHO, it's not a very good cam for an A4 346 (it rocks the house in a 6-speed tho). But what can ya do, it's in the car already.

Good luck! I'll be tweaking on it again tonight...

-Andrew
Old 08-07-2003, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions.

Andrew.. Your flow rate numbers are what I got when I multiplied by 127% the first time. When I did the 188.7% the went to 6.2-6.5. Is that leaning it out way too much? Also would you mind sending my your edit file to look at? kenny@dive-n-drive.com
Old 08-07-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have the Edit file with me here, but maybe later this evening I'll have a better one. Right now, his car isn't running very well, so I don't have a good file to send ya.

I do think that 188% is too much. I came up with my scale when I still had the B1 cam / stock heads motor in my car (babycam ). I put the 30# injectors in there and was able to quickly and easily set the constants. That way when Thunder put my new motor in there, we at least knew the fueling parameter and weren't trying to change too much at once. If it's *that* much trouble, take the 45 minutes and swap back to the old injectors to at least get the car dialed in closer, so that you know you aren't fighting a two front battle.

Is the mass air sensor stock? There should be a law against ported mass air sensors or MAF ends when trying to tune a car like this. The car I'm tweaking on has a SLP modified 85mm, and I don't think it's reading correctly. 32 lb/min at 6200 RPM with headers? Not bloody likely. Even my B1 cam flowed more air than that (~38-39). RAGEman's car flowed around 42-43 lb/min at WOT in cooler weather (again, stock heads).

Of course, there are other issues involved with the big cam / A4 as well. IAC control is just crazy. I have spent a ton of time in those tables, and it's still not right. Too much and the car cruises on its own, not enough and it stalls... Did I mention I don't like A4/big cams?

-Andrew (but 6-speeds and big cams... heh heh heh... my solid roller 242/242 .65/.65 runs nicely)