Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with efi live sd tune.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
I noticed he is running a 90mm TB and the IAC Effective Area is set up for a 78mm TB. This will hurt idle, especially on a cammed LS. After this is changed, he needs to redo RAFIG to get desired airflow at idle.
One thing at a time fellas.

First, you can't effectively change the IAC effective area since every throttle body is different, and it would just be a guessing game. I've still got my stock parameter IAC effective area set. No problem.

The minimum spark advance is a little high, but it shouldn't pose any problems right now. Spark while cranking doesn't need to be touched.

Remember, one step at a time otherwise you'll be chasing your tail around all day long trying to figure out what actually changed what!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow there is a good bit of stuff to look thru when u tune a car huh haha. the cam in the car is crap. its going to be getting changed in the coming months but what gets learned here can be applied then too current cam is a 247/ 254 .623/ .623 114.5 centerline.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Are you sure your cam is crap, what makes it crap?? Difficulty in tuning/driving conditions? That sounds like a pretty health cam! If anything it may even be a little bit on the large side. Do you have a dyno graph you could post up?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
Are you sure your cam is crap, what makes it crap?? Difficulty in tuning/driving conditions? That sounds like a pretty health cam! If anything it may even be a little bit on the large side. Do you have a dyno graph you could post up?
well the cam is prob fine but its not designed for this motor. its bitchy as hell under low rpm load (misfire city) and it just isnt making any respectful power with the rest of the combo. i def think its on the big side for my heads.

cutout open

cutout closed
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, you're making GREAT power! You shouldn't be snotting at that! You might have a little too much overlap, picking a cam with a tighter overlap might net you a few more horsepower, definitely more low end, but like I said, you're making good power.
As far as the cam being bitchy in the low rpm cruising, that is taken out by tuning. It takes a while, but you will eventually find where the cam likes to be when cruising as far as spark timings go and AFR's. Once we get your idle straightened up, I can step you through getting your low rpm loads undercontrol. The misfires might be caused from being too lean, but we'll get there soon.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
didnt get to try it. got tied up. going to try it on weds hopefully. also while i have your attention my previous tuner seems to have disabled my ability to track misfires somehow. i cant even see them on a tech 2. what could they have done to do that? and how the hell would i fix it?
Some PCMs will NOT report misfires after disabling O2 and CAT codes. I have absolutely NO idea why, but this DOES happen in some cases. I don't know about your PCM in particular. Unfortunately, I just help tune random cars for friends, so I can't say for sure if it is specifically related to certain years/vins, or what.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gametech
Some PCMs will NOT report misfires after disabling O2 and CAT codes. I have absolutely NO idea why, but this DOES happen in some cases. I don't know about your PCM in particular. Unfortunately, I just help tune random cars for friends, so I can't say for sure if it is specifically related to certain years/vins, or what.
I double checked your tune file, and it does appear that engine misfire detection is fully enabled, interesting...
Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

To expand on this further, I have heard (anecdotal only, no scientific evidence yet), that disabling emissions codes can disable other seemingly random PCM functions in a variety of cars. I have no idea if this is incidental to the computer code or intentional by the OEMs.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Does anyone know if running in OL will disable the Misfire detection?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
Does anyone know if running in OL will disable the Misfire detection?
well even when we had it in closed loop the misfire detection wasnt working. we were trying to locate which cylinder was misfiring. the tech 2 wouldnt even locate it.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines in olsd and wont do misfire detection..
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

guess ill have to live with that. my balancer came apart so i didnt get to really try it out for more then the drive home. gonna swap the balancer out sunday and give her a shot.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

well it helped a little bit but still some issues. i think im going to wait until the new cam goes in before i go much more in depth with it.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Hey good to hear that it helped out a little. As far as waiting for the new cam, right now would be an excellent time to really hone in your tuning skills with a little "more difficult" to tune cam. While getting my idles worked out, i had to change a vast amount of tables to get things evened out. Many of the tables' stock parameters are WAY too much for a "tougher" cam. They cause the engine to swing wildly in idle and causing stumbles. It takes very little air and spark adjustments to get things evened out. If you would like to know more please shoot me a PM and I can show you many different things to try and track down the root causes of your idle whoa's. Just for example, I have my idle down to 750 rpms currently, and it wasn't easy, but doable.

Quick Reply: need help with efi live sd tune.....