PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with trans, TC slipping etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problem with trans, TC slipping etc...

6/14/08 Updated hpl file. Looks like the converter is slipping whenlocked in third and fourth gear. In third the input/output shafts speeds are the same. Am I right in thinking its time for a new converter?

here's the deal. I have a lvl 2 performabuilt trans and 3600 fuddle stall. Both installed about a year ago. The trans has run right around 195 degrees and I cant get it to run any cooler, I have an after market cooler the I recently mounted dope style, that didnt help. Going to try a B&M sooner. What else should I be looking at? Car has shifted great until recently. Most started when I changed tires from BFG to ET street radials. when car is in OD and I give it a little throttle the TC shudders and recently noticed that when lock-up is commanded I get up to 250 slip at times. Seems to slip more the hotter the fluid gets. The trans is not slipping the best I can tell. I put the car in third gear and when converter is locked the trans shaft input/output speeds are identical and doing some math the shaft speeds seem correct through all other gears. Has the converter crapped out or just the OD clutches? is it ok to drive the car like this or will it hurt the trans?

the last few mintures of the log show the TC slippage if it helps any

thanks in advance for the help
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
trans tires 5 31 08.hpt (461.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: hpl
6 7 08.hpl (573.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: hpl
6 14 08 slip.hpl (179.4 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by thebulgd; 06-15-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Launching!

can anyone shed some light and let me know if I am reading ths stuff correctly? is my trans tune ok? pressures and such.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you've already hit on the TCC duty tables. It sucks having to run that minimum so high, it takes a while to figure out where to move lock/unlock too with so little modulation so that it doesn't drive you crazy. Have you tried setting minimum up to like 98%? I know it's a long shot, but if it still shudders it can't hurt, though it may not be perceptible. I'd talk to John where you got the stall from if it was still under warranty and perhaps even if it is not. It doesn't sound so good for the lockup clutch.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

I can try that 98% thing. I was noticing that when the trans temp gets higher, 190 or so, and the converter starts slipping that whenI'm on the gas cruising the slip is 50 to 250 rpm or so and that when I let of the gas to coast the rpms drop almost to idle. WTH does that mean? Lock up clutch shot? And why does it lock up in third with no slippage?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Updated hpl file. Looks like the converter is slipping whenlocked in third and fourth gear. In third the input/output shafts speeds are the same. Am I right in thinking its time for a new converter?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert but I have the same issue like you with a FLT level V tranny and a Vigilante Converter. I tried different settings in the tune like raising the lock up speed and the minimum duty cycle. In third gear it is nearly gone no chattering. But in 4th when locked up between 50 and 60 mph and smoothly accelerating it is chattering.

I was also thinking the converter is bad. Sent it to PI and they said nothing was wrong with the converter. However, they sent me a NEW converter to be sure. Same problem with the new converter. So I'm just manual shifting into third between 50 and 60 mph when it is beginning to chatter.

If you find out a solution to this issue please post it here