Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I tune myself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I tune myself?

I am considering buying the Jet DST for my car.I am under the understanding that LT1EDIT and Jet/Tunercat is the only two options for me other than an mail order tune from pcmforless.I dont know much of anything about tuning right now,but I have the desire to learn.However,eventhough I am tuning challenged...I am very knowledgeable on cars.I have roughly 10 years of mechanical experience.I am curious when you all started tuning and if it is something I should try and tackle myself.Right now it looks like a bunch of rocket science to me(lol),but I do understand all the basic principles of speed density,air density,Open Loop,Closed Loop,LTFT,STFT,etc...What confuses me is when you get more into depth such as tuning fuel cells and the numbers associated with it.Because of my car being a DD and gas prices being high I want to get my car in the high 12 low 13 second 1/4 mile zone(12.8-13.3).My future plans include an EWP,Pacesetter LT's,ORY,and 3:73 gears along with a tune.

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 06-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Lt1Edit, but wish I had known about Tunercat at the time.
I bought what I consider a base tune from madz28, in file form (the cheapest route). I then saved off my stock tune, downloaded his tune using LT1Edit, and I was off to the races (so to speak). I then compared the stock tune to his tune, examining what he changed. Using my dataloggers (I use Autotap and an LM-1) I have fine tuned it myself. Just one approach you can take.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tuning professionally since early 2006, starting with my own car. I learn something new every day, but it's a lot of fun.