Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

42#tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 42#tune

i have been posting around for some help.there's nothing here in mobile for parts much less a tuner.every thing used was mailed.i can get dyno time for 45.00 per hour but they do not have a tuner.last i shaw was a supra owner from Miss. brought in a tuner from Tenn.he left one slug down.
i am disabled and not able to ship my car as i was told to do.i just want to drive,I've been down sense DEC. summer is here and i need to hit the spot and see what thing can do on the street.(never beat on the street)for now it's the most expensive peace of **** i've ever seen,and it's all mine
my son just put up a tune/scan w/wb------formula foote

i have a 2004 z06,ls6-stock all the way
ptk style twin turbo,bought off forum member
42#injectors,pump booster,62# pressure on the rail
no cats,slp loudmouth w/pipe
now have hpt-pro and a lm-1,
i never wanted to learn tuning at 46,so be it.
38mm gates w/6psi springs-----------------

Someone must have a tune i can copy so i can drive
i'll learn hptuners in time and hopefully pay back in the future

mike in mobile alabama (please call 251-382-1084)

Last edited by zo6 vett; 08-06-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost is right. Too many variables. Had a tune off the repository posted; but it's too risky. Lots of money in a nice car and I would hate to see it get messed up.

Last edited by RZRSEDGE; 07-01-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Bad idea
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is headed in a bad direction...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

mike... what the sam hell are you doing now, lol. get your car, get a trailer or borrow, and get your butt to Salisbury, NC. and charlotte, nc and i'll help ya.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Default 42#tune

i must be missing something.all thats being changed with the turbo kit is he injectors.if i put the stock injectors back in and connect the throttle body to a air box it will run like stock and the pcm will compensate as normal.the larger injectors are to allow more fuel along with the air volume.
if it were easy i would be done.
there must be a tune not unlike a file found in a hand held tuner.something common,i read the term turbo safe tune.it seems like it is a big
i have asked this same question on three different forums.always someone is willing to sell me something or tell me about a guy.i have tried every thing that can be done with what's here in mobile.
lust last night we tried taking out the MAF,sd-tune.got 4* s of knock in the middle rpm on first run.pulled real good and logged without knock on the second.
i am trying for a 42# plug n play tune that is common to all stock set ups with a basic kit install.i know there will be differences.the injector ifr seems not so bad .i think my trouble is the MAF.the afr is stable in sd and scales up and down with the MAF.
it seems this diction has been going on for years and when a fella gets it right he"s out.i have been reading everything i can find.we found that there are not a wealth of tunes on the repository .so far i have been e-mailed one tune.i tried it and it wouldn't idle,too rich.i think i must have the least radical of kits.mine has never seen lea conditions with anything we've tried.
again i really appreciate ALL feed back and input.you guy's have been thee and done that.now it;s my turn.
as for too many variables?i spent a few years on a aircraft carrier as a radar tech.,talking about variables!
thanks mike in mobile
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

thanks to zl1lilla,
hey how's it? if i did that wife would tell me to stay! the new rule, i can spend what i earn.at least she bought me hp pro.give me a CALL ,i think we are close.tpc closed but, the mustang Dyno did not go.the new guy is tires and brakes.$45.00 hr. for dyno time,my buddy can run it.thats the next step.you can come done to the beach anytime we've got lots of room. mike
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Again, like I asked in the FI section, WHAT IS YOUR YOUR AFR AT WOT? YOU CAN ****EASILY**** HURT THE MOTOR MAKING REPEATED PULLS AT WOT UNTUNED. Just take a step back until you find an answer to this situation. Beating on the car is doing *NOTHING* for you in the meantime.

I really don't mean to sound like a *****, I am honestly just trying to save you some frustration, money, and time.

This car has only a turbo kit and a set of injectors right? What are your WG springs rated at and how much boost do you actually see? If the car makes much over 7psi, those injectors are going to fall short on you.

Don't look in a repository or in a handheld, you need the tune for YOUR car, not something else to dump in. You have the car finished, you have a wideband, and you have software. Just read up and learn to use what you have there before you lose a piston. It's coming, and SOON. Please just slow down and take the time to do your homework.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
Again, like I asked in the FI section, WHAT IS YOUR YOUR AFR AT WOT? YOU CAN ****EASILY**** HURT THE MOTOR MAKING REPEATED PULLS AT WOT UNTUNED. Just take a step back until you find an answer to this situation. Beating on the car is doing *NOTHING* for you in the meantime.

I really don't mean to sound like a *****, I am honestly just trying to save you some frustration, money, and time.

This car has only a turbo kit and a set of injectors right? What are your WG springs rated at and how much boost do you actually see? If the car makes much over 7psi, those injectors are going to fall short on you.

Don't look in a repository or in a handheld, you need the tune for YOUR car, not something else to dump in. You have the car finished, you have a wideband, and you have software. Just read up and learn to use what you have there before you lose a piston. It's coming, and SOON. Please just slow down and take the time to do your homework.

Do listen to frost, he has helped me a LOT in the past. Mike, I will give you a call this evening after I get off work, probably be around 5-6pm. I won't be able to talk too long but I could probably get you situated to where its better than what it currently is.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

last night ,wot 3rd gear @ 100+mph it hit 16 afr.at the worst,
adjusted the pe.
charlie @ rpm motors is checking my tune ,sending a good one (42#)and, returning my stock tune.
i will try to get to it today .s i can wire the lm-1 to the pro.these runs are no more than acouple of hindered yards. the one on top 1/8 or so.i have never hear any knock or ping.up till the last two days i was @ 10afr wot and black smoke.now idle and to drive around is great.
i do not think your a ***** .it guys like you that help the most.you keep me moving forward.
thanks,mike
Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

16:1 is too lean for an N/A application and can hurt a boosted stock bottom end in a single 1/8 mile run.

with the car idling, if you pull the filler cap/breather does it "puff" now?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

nope ,I've checked it all the old ways and it is fine.idle in SD is like a rock.when car is shut of the boost/vacuum gage holds steady @ -5psi for over a min.
it's raining now i'll get to it latter today,,,,mike
Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

by old ways do you mean that you did compression & (more importantly) leakdown testing? My question is more or less trying to determine if a ringland/piston was hurt already. You have made quite a few pulls at WOT and most people aren't lucky to get that many without tuning before they hurt something.

Best of luck, try and get someone on the car and tuning it if you don't want to go through the proper procedures yourself before it gets costly.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Talking

i only ran with a Charlie Williams tune and then again with the ifr scaled down to 42# from 60# injectors. with help from AVB.the last runs were w/sd.i should have the WB tied to the interface tonight. gman4dx266<gunther> on hptforum is a friend who is doing all the tuning mods.my son mike has all the logs and tunes on his lap top <michaelfoote2@yahoo.com>e-mail mike and he will do it tonight after work.
for now the motor runs great no apparent problems.to check all 8 would mean taking the headers off.we(mike ,I can't fit) can just get to plug #1.i will run a random fire test ASAP.
my # is 251-382-1084 and I'm up till 3:00 am every night
going to a car show tomarrow just might drive it ?logs perfect under 60mph or so
mike in mobile
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

found a tunner in mississippi?will call monday.he is about 50 miles away
Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 AM
12 Second Club

Who is tuning in MS? I live in Ocean Springs, and didn't know of anyone closer than James at RWTD.

Galen
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

16.1 AFR @ WOT!! Man you are lucky there, I would of pulled out at least one plug and check it real close with a plug reader, basically a magnifying glass under a light, See any tiny shinny specs?? Pistons are cussing you out...
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

no compression check,checked for presser build on the dip stick and vaulve cover at rpm.
we ran the hpt eng. balance test ,can't remember the name,i checked out good

JMS lucedale ms.,quoted me $900.00 for a tune @310.00 per x3 hr.i think chris was the name.i said "i already installed the kit i just need a tune"
down these parts insurance shop rate for body work is $38.00 per and,if you ask you'll find $55.00per hr. mechanic rate.

pulled a plug yesterday only black.we are giving it tell Saturday to start back up.

this brings up a question,how long can a motor run lean ,say @ 16-18 afr before it pops a piston?

thanks guys i am learning a **** load here, mike

Last edited by zo6 vett; 07-08-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: missed ome
Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

this brings up a question,how long can a motor run lean ,say @ 16-18 afr before it pops a piston?

Like I said, You were lucky once, but twice?? Good Luck
Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

turns out the owner of jms is the owner of sct .i e-mailed him today ,lets see?
MIKE
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

so far from what I gathered from you Mike, you have:

PTK twin 76mm (maybe larger) kit

wastegate set to 6psi

42#/hr racetronix injectors (probably going to need bigger if you plan on going more than 7-8psi of boost)

Tuning wise:
You need to start from a STOCK file honestly, start from scratch

I can def get you set on the IFR table. so that nails that

You then need to get your car to run off of the PE TABLE, that means it needs to be the richer table of the fuel tables.

Spark, you should try running 12 degrees for now or even 14 degrees at peak WOT cases, normal driving for now the stock spark table will be fine.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND going WOT at ALL during any of this tuning yet.

you have a returned fuel system currently from what you said, and a BAP or something on the fuel pump that came with the car, which we don't know if its stock or not....
chances are on that...there is no way in hell that the factory fuel pump will do much with a boosted car... so we need to make sure you have an AFTERMARKET fuel pump somehow and you can't tell just by pressure.

if you need any fuel solutions, please talk to NAsty N8 up here, he can get you situated with EVERYTHING you need to provide your car fuel.

we will talk on the phone later tomorrow and we will try and get somewhere, I'm somewhat familiar with HPTuners but mostly EFI LIVE;

Frost, i know its very detailed but man, if you can help, anything will be appreciated