PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/MS4 with TexasSpeed Tune fail??

Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/MS4 with TexasSpeed Tune fail??

Just looking for some input here guys I don't have a tuner but figured this is that best place to ask, as I know nothing about how tunes can make cars act.

I have a 99 Trans-Am with PRC stage 2 heads, a MS4 cam, SLP longtubes and a build 4L60e. Has the stock LS1 intake/TB . The block got freshened up with new rings by my favored local shop. I installed the the heads and cam myself. The Tune came from Texasspeed as well and I told them everything that was on to car.

Now for the problem. I put the tuned computer in and It ran like a champ for about two days of little runs up and down the road. Now it won't find its idle and dies right off the bat. I can keep it running by give it some gas but, even when it warms up a little it still wont idle and dies. I called Texasspeed and the tune guy said "well it shouldn't be doing that" then he told me that very rarely a car doesn't take the tune well and act funny ways .

I'm just looking for some input on this. I just find it funny that a good tune just up and fails. Any thoughts on other things I can go check before I drag it to MTI for a dyno tune with money a don't/can't spend?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's time to get a scanner plugged into the car to see what's going on. It's definitely not the norm for a car to run "like a champ" and then all of a sudden stop doing so...and it's almost never tune related when that happens. Chances are it's a sensor going out or mean vacuum leak causing your frustrations. Maybe unplug the MAF sensor and see if it starts and stays running a bit better at idle (speed density mode, this would rule out a bad MAF sensor in most cases if it still has problems).

A scan of the vehicle and a handful of parameters would be very useful in finding the culprit. Is it throwing any DTC's by chance?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Search this Thread