Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 5.3 DBW to cable throttle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 03 5.3 DBW to cable throttle conversion

I have an 03 5.3 that was pulled from a silverado. I will be converting it to a cable actuated throttle body.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

From what I have read the conversion involves adding both TPS and IAC wiring to the harness, and re-flashing the ECU with an appropriate "base program"(unsure of terminology). I also understand that other pinouts must also be changed depending on which program I decide to use.

People have suggested both the Savanna Van program(which I have a wiring diagram for) as well as the 04 GTO(no diagram as of yet). I have a truck harness so I am thinking the van may require less pin changes, but it uses the 4l80e where as I have the 4l60e. Can someone point me in the right direction in regard to which program choice would make things the easiest.

Another concern that I have is the cheapest and quickest method of having my ECU flashed for the appropriate program before purchasing HP Tuners, which from what I have read is necessary. Who can do this for me and what is the general fee?

Any input is much appreciated guys. I have just about everything else sorted out and would like to start tearing into the harness by the weekend if possible.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just grab an LS1 harness and ECU. I have an 04 LM4 dressed with LS1 equipment and harness.

You would want an LS1 TB for sure. The truck manifold supposedly performers fairly well though.

Take the LS1 computer and have some of the 5,3 tables loaded into it.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 07-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 5.3 DBW to cable throttle conversion