PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with O2 sensor or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with O2 sensor or something else?

Hello all, recently I did the dumb thing and had to put some cheap gas in my car. I only put in six gallons. On my way home the car starting acting wierd like rough idle at a stop light, but if I was cruising at say 55 no problems at all. Well Since I thought it was the gas I put a good octane booster in the tank and then filled the car with 93 Shell gas. I get the rough idle not so much any more, but now my car is throwing the p0131 and p0171 codes(ses light). I use a predator handheld tuner to tune my vehicle and to check my codes and data. I have longtube headers with the bosch rear vette sensors and no cats or second set of sensors. My programmer tells me that the voltage for Sensor #1 Bank #1 is too low, and also fuel trim too lean Sensor #1 Bank #1. Those are the only codes it throws. I drive 20 mins to work, for the first 10-12 mins. both sensors are reading fine they are switching like normal, and everything is fine, shortly after that I see the the one sides percentages shoot way up to 56.25% for short term sensor #1 and the long term go to 25%. I see no exhaust leaks and these sensors are about a year old. I am about to go and pull the O2 sensor and check for any issues. Is there something I can use that will clean the sensor without harming it? Thanks and sorry for the long read.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like the sensor(s) may have taken the dump. Maybe the gas had some water in it? I've heard if you pull the sensors and use a propane torch on them it can clean them. I never had much luck doing it though.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Swap them side to side, and see where the fault goes???
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

go ahead and change the driver front O2 sensor make sure you clean the contacts first when you retest it. i would hate for you to have gotten them dirty at some point and now your contact, or lack of, is messin everything up
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help guys I found out I had a one year warranty from autozone on the sensor so they are giving me a new one and I'll see if this fixes my problem.