PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Tune for 5psi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Yeah junk LOL there is nothing in my kit that isnt a popular name brand.
like the 100 BOV and gate

My point is you aren't gonna have anything nice or reliable for under $1000 if at all.

I still don't believe the cost; I have done this more than once.
Old 08-14-2008 | 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
like the 100 BOV and gate

My point is you aren't gonna have anything nice or reliable for under $1000 if at all.

I still don't believe the cost; I have done this more than once.
Thats fine. Im not going to sit here and argue about it in this thread. Thats not the point of this thread. When I start buying up stuff I will make record of every penny I spend for educational purposes for this website.

I have had SEVERAL turbo'd cars in the past (never and ls1) but well over 7 different cars. So I feel pretty confident on what Im doing. I just didnt know the capabilities of the stock tune.

For a car I drive 4 times a month MAXIUM I dont believe top of the line parts are necessary. Now if I was into racing then yes I would probably spend about $5k on the turbo setup. Its not that Im being cheap or not that I dont have the money. Its just like I said I dont see the point in spending money on "top of the line parts" for what I use my car for.

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Why don't you get a tuning suite like hptuners and do it yourself....?

500 one time ;-)
Good idea I think I may look into that. Thanks!

Last edited by my01ws6; 08-14-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2008 | 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

If you get the software, the curve isn't too steep if you have tuned other EMS's, just the table relationships take a little time. DIY the tuning and use the forums for help when you need it. The tuning section here and at HPTuner's forum is gold. Buy the Pro version for easy wideband data logging.

I'm not trying to dog you, I have just been at the helm of so-called budget builds before more than once. None of them have come anywhere close so far.
Old 08-14-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
If you get the software, the curve isn't too steep if you have tuned other EMS's, just the table relationships take a little time. DIY the tuning and use the forums for help when you need it. The tuning section here and at HPTuner's forum is gold. Buy the Pro version for easy wideband data logging.

I'm not trying to dog you, I have just been at the helm of so-called budget builds before more than once. None of them have come anywhere close so far.
Dont get me wrong I do understand where you are coming from. I also appreciate your advice. I know where its ok to skimp and where it isnt. I will not skimp on any parts that are mechanical. I may skimp on couplers, fittings, intercooler etc. but nothing with moving parts. Like I said my $1000 or so budget already includes many items I already have. In reality I will probably be around $1300 or so minus the parts I already have and a tune.

Im not a person who puts **** on their car. If you were to see my mod list you would understand that only the best of parts touch my car.

I dont have any prior experience in tuning and all my buddies who know about tuning cars live in New Mexico so that doesnt help me any. Would it be worth it to try to tune the car myself or would I be better off taking it to a professional? I would deffinately be intrested in learning but dont want to mess anything up at the same time.
Old 08-14-2008 | 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Tunes are not $800....$300-$500 or else you're getting ripped off....
Old 08-14-2008 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I figured! But places around here were charging $850 +!!! I thought that price was ridiculous!!