Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

use tune from car on truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use tune from car on truck?

i had a tr224 cam in my car and got it tuned. blew a head gasket so swapped heads and cam out. while i was doing the swap i bought hptuners. i saved my tune for the 224 cam on my laptop. well i still have the cam and springs and i just bought a 1500hd with the 6.0l in it. so my question is can i just swap the springs and cam into the truck and use my old tune temporarily until i can get it done professionaly since im still trying to figure out how to use hptuners.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the fueling will be off. If the truck has different size injectors, the short answer is no. If they are the same, the motor has more cubes, which will change fueling requirements. And even if everything else was equal, you will be hitting different cells in the VE table in the truck vs. the car. I'd say the tune will be off quite a bit.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Teching In

would the tables for the spark advance work though. not sure if the bigger cubes have a impact on spark advancement or not? i dont have to use the exact tune but if i could get the spark advancement right and then use the ltft and stft tables to get the fueling kinda dialed in. dont have a wideband yet but gonna buy one soon hopefully. i would play around with the ve tables a bit and see where it felt most responsive and where it felt like it was falling on its face. im just kinda hoping that parts of the tune will work temporarily at least.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the tables are different in the truck vs. the Fbody... spark and fuel... there are adders in the spark tables for the truck that the car doesn't have. MAFs and injectors are different. The truck could easily be tuned for the cam, but you can't just put the car tune in the truck or even paste the tables straight in.