Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Help Please

Ok have a 01 ws6 ram-air trans-am with 60k miles couple of weeks ago started getting a p131 I think it was saying right bank heater O2 senser bad. I cleared it a couple of times and it comes back about 3 days later well I was getting ready to change it when I heard a ticking that sounded kinda like a plug wire ticking to a header also felt a dead miss in it. I open the hood in the dark and saw no arc. Hooked up my preditor and read the codes to see p300 random cly. mis fire. As soon as I cleared the code the tapping noise quit and the mis went away drove around the block and every thing seems fine. any help on tracking this down would be appreciated. In the mean time Im going to change the O2 sensor and maybe some plugs and plug wires.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Help Help Please

may not be related, but did you do the pcv mod? that might help. i bet theres a crap load of oil in your intake if you didnt. id do the pcv mod, then throw some gm top end cleaner through it and blow all the crap out of it. you have to disconnect the AIR fittings first, but that would prob helpo i bet. It could be a coil, but then coils usually just go bad...no intermittent problems. could be a bad wire, but you checked them, and the plugs are cool. maybe pull them and pout a nice fresh set in. other than that it could be an injector. did you ever over-rev the motor mechanically (shift to second onstead of 4th)? Could be a bent rod/valve or a loose rocker. the rockers rarely come loose when theyre still stock(if no ones ever took them off) ATAP that beyotch.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks now that you mention injectors I had a two stroke 2.4 merc that had a stuck injector well you can guess what happen no fuel on a two stroke no oil. That sound was what I heard. Im almost sure now it was a stuck injector. That would explain the P300 code and the dead miss then as fast as it came going away. I suppose you can get that top end cleaner at local GM dealer? Going to do that pcv mod and wires and plugs along with that new O2 sensor and see what happens Thank you for the advice
Old 09-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Teching In

I picked up the GM Top end cleaner today could someone tell me how to apply it the best way sure dont want to screw that up and lose a motor... That wouldnt be good. So anyone with a good Idea how to get her to drink it would be appreciated
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you do the pcv mod? that might help. i bet theres a crap load of oil in your intake if you didnt.

That's the truth! When I took the intake off my car, I looked down the cylinder head intake ports and saw a **** load of oil! With only 15,000 miles on the clock! So I "ported" my heads with carb cleaner and finished the LS6 PCV mod; but I think I still need a catch can. These engines run like the clatter-wheels of hell, but damn they like to use oil!!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Teching In

does anyone sell the pcv mod or do you have to make it. This is the wifes grocery getter so dont have alot of time to work on it.