Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWB!!!!! :read:

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB!!!!! :read:

I have a 2000 TA WS6. i know quite a bit about my car other than the programing stuff your can do to it. I don't have the slightest clue about any of it. I am wanting to know some basic information. Such as what all the terms mean and what certain things do. This site is amazing [URL="https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213148"]but i want one about programmers. I searched and searched but couldn't find anything. Just bits and pieces and i'm still lost!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried this one? https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html

What do you want to know about tuning? have you done some mods and require to learn to tune? There is a whole load of stuff to learn, and its not all that difficult, if you do many changes make small ones, and not too many at once.

One of the first things to do it getting your fuel trims near zero, some people prefer around -4, so when they go WOT no extra fuel is added, as it does when your fuel trims are positive.

To tune WOT (Wide open Throttle) you need a WB (wideband) sensor, this give accurate air/fuel ratio (AFR) readings, people shoot for different AFR, but generally between 12:5 - 13:1 N/A (naturally asperated)

You may wish to play with the spark advance at WOT, keep an eyes on the knock sensor reading, people timing varies, usually around 28* or lower depending on the knock sensor retarding the timing.

If you put in a different cam / heads, the car will breathe different, you will need to play with the Idle Air Flow tables to get it to idel correctly.

If you change injectors there is a IFR (Injector flow rate) table to adjust.

A Guide to tuning https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/284479-finally-how-tune-101-a.html

I use HP tuners and very happy with it, there are others like LS1Edit which I have no experience with, both are good pieces of kit. A guide to tuning with HP tuners https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/503989-hptuners-tuning-links.html

Hope this info helps. If you are after anything specific, post your question, I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Try this forum.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Or you could download the EFI Live demo from their site (www.efilive.com) and download a tune from www.holdencrazy.com. Most of what you can modify has a description in the box near the top right corner of the program. What I read on this site here along with those descriptions gave me a much better understanding of how our PCMs work.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Teching In

thanks guys!! i was wanting to change my air/fuel ratio cus when it comes out of the factory it is all fucked up because of emissions. what would i need to do or buy to get good economy when im not on it but when i go to WOT i get a lot of power. is there anything that does that?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws602transam
thanks guys!! i was wanting to change my air/fuel ratio cus when it comes out of the factory it is all fucked up because of emissions. what would i need to do or buy to get good economy when im not on it but when i go to WOT i get a lot of power. is there anything that does that?
HPTuners or EFI LIVE, you really want get better economy as the car will try to do its best anyway to maintain a 14.6~14.7 AFR at part throttle conditions. the best you could do would be tweaking timing and change your driving style a little.

Please read these forums carefully and ask a LOT of peoples opinions, as the statement about "is there anything that does that" is a little out there, i don't want to be an ***, and I know you want to learn and we are here to help and everyone started somewhere, but please don't blow your car up because 1 person said run it at a 20AFR ratio... remember, there are many ways to skin a cat, they might all work, just the quality may be better or worse.

Timing and changing some thresholds would do you best on gas mileage.

Check out www.efilive.com or www.hptuners.com and start logging and changing 1 thing at a time.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

i dont take the first persons advice and run with it. i get a wide range of answers and try to meet somewhere in the middle. i like to get my moneys worth and get exactly what i want
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like speed demon said, download the software from www.efilive.com and check it out before you buy anything. Then call me if you have any questions on its capabilities and i will answer them for you.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws602transam
i dont take the first persons advice and run with it. i get a wide range of answers and try to meet somewhere in the middle. i like to get my moneys worth and get exactly what i want
yeh and thats also WHY this FORUM exists. you don't have to post about it...jeesh man, lighten up. we are all posting our opinions and knowledge.

check out the software and report back