Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Frustration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration.

.......So I bought a muffler yesterday from Advanced Auto...
I removed the clamps holding the muffler and the exhaust pipe and ****. Removed the belt holding up the exhaust.
Problem.
The exhaust will not budge. I cannot remove it from the muffler. I tried penetration oil, I tried WD-40, I tried brute force, I tried everything. It will absolutely not come out. Am I going to have to power saw it or w/e?
What the **** could a mechanic have put in there to keep it that solid from beingn removed? It will move up and down but won't come out. I'm going to have to saw it I guess. My friend has the tool I'm just waiting for him to get back from class. Did my mechanic put some kind of solidifying thing in there that turns into cement? ****.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not moving at all, it's either welded together or you are missing a bolt or 2 that are hidden etc. I guess it could be slip fit together to an extent and the heat cycles have rusted it together. Why aren't you just cutting the pipe to overlap the muffler ends, slipping it together and clamping it? Not enough left after the cut?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya we were supposed to saw it tonight but of course on my way there my battery decided to suck and die. So I had to go get a new one but my friend has other places to be. But ya we're going to saw it where the muffler overlaps the exhaust, so that way I can keep the pipe and still have the muffler incase I don't like the one I'm putting on.