Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

not the normal headlight problem. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not the normal headlight problem. Help

I recently purchased a 00 t/a. i noticed the passenger lights were dim. i decided to order a new set 0f 4 sylvania headlights. I installed them today and still have the same problem. When i switch to high beams the drivers side functions as it should and the passenger side is completely dead(no lights at all) Same issue with the old lights, i figured new lights would remedy this problem. Hopefully it's something simply as i am horrible with electrical issues. Maybe a ground?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be anything from a bad ground, to needing a new dimmer switch, or even needing to replace the mult-purpose switch in the steering column. but the first thing I would do is check grounds. maybe sand down the metal they are on to make sure there is good contact. that's the part that doesn't cost any money any way lol.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check the contacts in the connectors to the bulbs. Also follow the bulb wires back a couple feet to a larger 5+ pin connector and check its pins. One of the pins in that larger connector was corroded on my car once. That larger connector has power for low beam, high beam, and headlight motors. The connector is mounted to the vertical metal plate about a foot below and behind the headlights.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the grounds for sure, I'm about positive that's the issue. Grounds are about always the problem with "strange" issues.

I did have a ground issue before. I would turn my headlights on and my passenger headlight would dim. I'd hit the brights which would load my circuit more and somehow complete the ground, then flip my lowbeams back on and they'd be fine again. They've been fine for a few months so I didn't have to hunt for the ground problem.

Quick Reply: not the normal headlight problem. Help