Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Several things not working....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Several things not working....

I bought this car (94 LT1 - 4L60e) a few months ago... was blowing fuse 11 when I got it... found that problem and fixed it. The wiper worked sometimes then, and the a/c compressor won't come on.

I've diagnosed best I can the AC... if I check for voltage at the compressor there is none. Checked the relay pins. Voltage on two of them... jumpering them across (also got a new relay) still no voltage at the compressor plug (but the car acts (idles change) like the compressor is kicking in.

When starting the other day it acted like something got caught while cranking (noise).... since then the ABS INOP light has been on. Tried to diagnose but says I need a tester I don't have... this has also caused the cruise control to not work (I believe part of the built in safety)

I had to replace the ignition switch, since doing that the wipers have worked once. The washer works but not the wipers. Before replacing the ignition they would work sometimes... typically turning the key off and then back on the wipers would work.

This is a 94 firebird formula with a LT1 and 4L60E. The PO had the engine replaced prior to me buying it. I'm wondering if it's the same year engine and PCM and that's why these things aren't working. When you crank it to start it, it always sounds horrible and I am always relieved it starts. (Sounds like something is loose)

Any thoughts on any of this? I've scheduled a diagnosis appt with the GM dealer for next week (for the ABS and A/C) but thought hey... if someone else has been through this maybe I can save a little money. I've tried several things with no luck. (Will pull the steering wheel apart tomorrow to check that I didn't unplug the wiper when I replaced the ignition)

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice,

Robert

Last edited by rrwebster; 06-26-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

So... the AC problem was a bad wire from the relay to the air compressor.

the ABS INOP light was from the two third brake light being burnt out...

I tried a new switch for the wipers... still nothing... then magically they bagan working again...with the old switch. this is a reoccuring problem.

I replaced the front oil seal and no more oil on the rear bumper and no adding a quart of oil every tank of gas.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

glad you got most of it sorted out. but burnt out bulbs deactivates your ABS??? thats seems absolutly absurd!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartje
glad you got most of it sorted out. but burnt out bulbs deactivates your ABS??? thats seems absolutly absurd!
I seem to recall hearing that it is programmed that way. Why i don't know but i have heard of others having no abs due to a burned out 3rd brake light bulb.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds like you have major electrical issues to me. I can remove all my tail light bulbs and the ABS light does not come on.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhin
That sounds like you have major electrical issues to me. I can remove all my tail light bulbs and the ABS light does not come on.
your car is also a 93. IIRC the 94-97 cars have different PCM's than 93's.