Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

IAT Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT Problems

For some reason the IAT sensor on my 98 Trans Am is reading -36 degrees at all times. I have researched the IAT mod and understand how it is done and why. This has NOT been done to my car. I have replaced the IAT sensor with one from Auto Zone twice (love that Lifetime Warranty). I have looked at the wiring and it does not appear to be tampered with. I am about to install a Procharger P-1SC kit and will not be able to tune the computer with the IAT acting up. Not to mention it won't allow the A/C to run since it thinks it is -36 degrees outside. Any one have any ideas as to things I can look for? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Iat

Sounds to me that the ECM isn't getting A signal from the IAT sensor. I had a similar problem with my TPS. Long story short I had a bad connector on the TPS sensor. 1 wire would not make connection when it was connected to the TPS. It would check ok when I checked each wire for short, and when I connected the plug , it would go dead. Purchased a new connector all is good. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Larry
Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for that info. I think I will try to remove the connector plug and maybe connect the wires with some alligator clips to see if I get a better connection and accurate reading. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again.