Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some technical Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some technical Help

I have a 1991 Pontiac Firebird. V8 308 5.0 litre. Recently I was driving home and just started to loose power. I got a jump from the guys across the street. It idled for about 10 minutes the first time and then died. I could see clearly that the car was loosing amperage on the battery. I looked in a forum and then replaced the Alternator. While putting everything back together the leads on the battery cable got crossed. It fried something up front, near the battery. I later found a cable in the area split in two. I reconnected the cable and the car would try to start but not turn over. I sprayed some choke in the carb and it would turn over briefly. I found a relay fuse that was fried and replaced it. The fuse burnt out several times. I then checked out the relay sensor and replaced that, finding it burnt quite bad. The car still will not turn over. What do you think is next? Is the Fuel pump Fried?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AM-

It sounds like you have several issues; but keep in mind, a failing alternator will drain a battery, and if a cell within the battery has failed, then the new alternator - in it's attempt to 'change' a damaged battery (which is incapable of accepting a charge) will burn out the new alternator. (IMHO - Always replace batteries and alternators in pairs.)

So, long story short, after you've found and fixed all your wiring / cable / fuse / fusable link / relay issues, make sure your battery is both capable of accepting a change and fully charged as well, so that you don't smoke your new alternator.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Need some technical Help