Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

driver side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side mirror

does anyone know where I can buy the bracket that's inside the mirror that has the studs on it? went to a ball game in st louis a couple weeks ago and someone hit my mirror and broke the bracket, local junk yard doesn't have any and my only option I've found is paying 80 for a mirror on ebay
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure your mirror bracket didn't break on it's own? It's made of cheap pot metal and is known to do that: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...e-mirrors.html
Old 08-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Launching!

awesome info thanks man, and yea unfortunately there is a decent scratch to go along with the break looks like someone was walking beside it and walked into the mirror
Old 08-09-2014, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
does anyone know where I can buy the bracket that's inside the mirror that has the studs on it? went to a ball game in st louis a couple weeks ago and someone hit my mirror and broke the bracket, local junk yard doesn't have any and my only option I've found is paying 80 for a mirror on ebay
I had this happen to one of my mirrors.... just drying it off with a towel not putting any force and it just went pop and it got loose. I ended up using some JB weld on the bracket and never had a problem since.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Launching!

I used JB weld on mine and it came apart as I was putting the mirror back on lol.. maybe I'll give that another shot, I gave it a 36 hour cure time and it said it only needed 24. probably didn't mix it close enough to 1:1 and I really couldn't find a good way to clamp the bracket together while it cured, suggestions on how you did that?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well mine looked exactly like this one

I used the JB weld
steel stick (amazon link) steel stick (amazon link)
and cut off probably 3/4 of an inch off and just mixed it together thoroughly in my hands then wrapped it all the way around the cracked area while spreading it out as much as possible where it won't be in the way or breaking apart from the rest of itself. I think I only let it set for a few hours then I Installed it, but didn't drive it till the next day. It then held strong from there on.

sorry for the late response... I knocked out after I posted that
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Launching!

it's no problem, but yea we used two different things I used the original jb weld that has a strength of 4000 somethin psi and you have two tubes you have to mix together. but I see how the putty would hold it together better initially. Also thats exactly where mine broke, I have a feeling that's probably where they all break
Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP -

I had my Driver's side unit break at the same place - but I used a different (i.e. - Not JB Weld) two-part epoxy that I got from Autozone. (It was just what I had; I cannot speak to the effectiveness of JB Weld, as I've never used it.)

Anyway, after removing the broken parts from the mirror assembly, I cleaned everything, then super-glued the two pieces together (to hold them in place). Finally, I laid on the epoxy thick on one side and let it cure. When side one was firm, I turned it over then did the same for side two.

Fixed.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: driver side mirror