Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How fixable is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fixable is this?

Yesterday I made a horrible decision and drove my bird in icy conditions. In my defense, This rarely happens in Alabama, and I was unprepared. After losing control on an icy bridge, I slid into the concrete barrier (twice I think). The only shop we've been able to take it to wants to replace the panel, but I've been told since that it's all that particular place does now.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the time and effort that would have to go into straightening out that quarter, you would probably be better off just putting on a new one...
Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

No problem fixing it but getting it done right with properly matching paint is key. That means two more estimates besides the one shop you took it too. Labor alone from a good shop will run $500+ so be prepared for that. I just had estimates done on a left rear fender done on a collector car of mine and it's amazing how expensive it gets to be done right. I eventually just had the whole car done but in your case you need to shop around still.
Good luck with everything. Sorry the accident happened. You are not alone here in the south with icy conditions. I've been trapped (no driving) in my home here for 9 days now with all the ice. It's finally gone.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Agree that replacing the quarter makes sense. A good shop should be able to do a close match by getting the flattening vs. gloss right to approximate your aged paint.

It looks like replacing the bumper cover will also be required.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:17 PM

The bumper cover is in surprising good shape. In my (utterly amateur) opinion it just needs some sanding and paint. The concrete really just roughed it up, no dents or real damage. I'm assuming the plastic just deformed on impact and then popped back out.

Quick Reply: How fixable is this?