Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Body gaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body gaps

I recently bought a 99 Trans am and of course when I got it home I found some little things with the car I didnt notice when I first looked it over. It has a ws6 hood/airbox but I believe it is an aftermarket hood but looks like pretty good quality.

My biggest concern is some of the body gaps. The doors/fenders line up just fine but the hatch seems to have a big gap all the way around it, it doesnt leak though. The biggest gap is between the hatch and rear lights. I've taken the light housing off and looked all around and in the trunk area and there appears to be no damage at all. The driver side tail light sits in a little from the body the passenger side sits flush. Does anyone else have this gap?

Also the hood and one of the lights have a big gap between them but I believe its just the alignment of the hood, I haven't tried to adjust it yet. One of the lights (when closed) sits open a little more then the other. Is there anyway to adjust the light/light cover?

It does have a clean title and does not appear that has been in an accident.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You'll need to post a picture for this one.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes this will give us a reference ^^
Old 11-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple pictures sorry if they are not the best.
Attached Thumbnails Body gaps-gap1.jpg   Body gaps-gap2.jpg   Body gaps-gap3.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That looks pretty normal to me taking into account all the slight variations from the production line.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

how does the trunk/fender gap look from the side? From that angle it does look like its a bit recessed from the tail lights on the passenger side (but not very much and most probably wouldnt notice). Take some pics from the side of the car, as well as the gap where the spoiler meets the sale panel.

was there an option to get the low rise spoiler in 99? Previous owner may have converted to the high rise (stock TA hatch) and they are a bit of a pain to realign. I think the trunk latch can be slid down a bit (part behind the center tail light filler) as well as the rubber stops under the trunk. the main adustments come from where it bolts in at the sail panel. If you start to mess with that you will need to disconnect the struts and get some help cause that hatch is heavy.

the headlight covers have adjustment screws on them as well. It is a pain in the *** but you can tweak it all to your liking and you may want to get a second set of hands for this as well
Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say just to try adjusting them again. When I took mine off to smoke them, I could never get them to quite line up like they were before.

It will probably be a lot easier with a 2nd set of hands so you can tighten both the lights down simultaneously instead of trying to fight the filler panel from falling out before you're done.

Quick Reply: Body gaps