Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1998 T/A Strip-Street(mostly strip) Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 T/A Strip-Street(mostly strip) Electrical

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a 1998 T/A roller I'm going to finish as a race car but with tags and title for limited street use. The car is about 90% complete as far as chassis work is concerned. Going to swap stock K member and control arms for after market. Has narrowed, braced 12 bolt Chevy rear end, ARB, AFCO Big Gun Coil Overs, Moser 35 spline axles, Ford 9 inch bearing ends, Strange disc brakes on rear, Ten Point 8:50 CM cage. Power steering swapped to manual rack. Stock seats removed for Kirker race seats. Stock dash. Power windows to remain functional. All exterior lights to remain functional plus dome light. Stock dash to remain but modified for Race Pak display.

Engine will be an LQ4 based 408 stroker with a BW T6 88MM Turbo utilizing Holley Hi Ram intake. Transmission will be a TFI TH400 level 4 transmission. RWHP should be either side of 1000HP @ 25PSI.

A/C and Heater systems have totally been deleted. Not using the stock EFI system at all, but using HalTech engine management system for fuel, fans, pumps, boost control and monitoring.

My question to the members is about using after market electrical harness. I don't need a harness with fuel injection EFI since I'm using the HalTech. I'll need a harness for the chassis for all lighting, starter, power windows. The current stock harness is a mess and I think I'm better off buying an after market electrical system but want the fuses and relays needed to operate the items listed. I've looked at Fast Wire and Painless. I'll probably use the aftermarket switch panel. Car has GM column ignition.

Has anyone had any success with after market electrical systems on their Gen IV Bird or Camaro? Suggestions Please?
Old 04-07-2018, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Most people stick with modified factory harnesses just because it's cheaper and easier to pull wires you don't need than to rewire everything from scratch. Once you go through the factory harness and pull everything you don't need you'll realize there's not enough wiring left to justify what an aftermarket harness will cost.

Just a heads up, double check on what's considered street legal before you get the car finished. If you find out your state doesn't allow roll cages then having taillights and a horn becomes a non-issue