Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Prior owner disconnected fog lights - how do I reconnect them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prior owner disconnected fog lights - how do I reconnect them?

Hello all

Last week I bought my old age crisis car - 2002 Trans Am WS6 convertible. It's in great shape except for the usual Firebird maladies - headlight door noise (stripped gear), water damaged parking light. Already ordered a new metal gear and fixed up the parking light.

One thing I wasn't able to see when I bought the car from a dealer across the state from me, was that the previous owner installed some led lights in the ram air scoop and somehow disconnected the fog lights. The led's are not going through the fog light switch since they are on whenever the drls are on and the fog light switch doesn't light up - it's totally non functional.

So my question is, how do I go about looking for what the previous owner did? I'm not crazy about the leds and saw a video on installing them, so I will start tracing them back and seeing where they're wired in. But any help I could get would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

id start by pulling the gauge bezel and see if the wiring is still connected to the switch. Then I would check at the fog lights to see if they are using there connector. Im not sure entirely but I think if the fogs burn out the LED on the switch quits working to identify they are dead. Kind of like when you have a blinker out and if you turn it on the blinker clicks faster. Could be wrong on that but I would start there.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

It's a great starting point.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Default RElay had an "X" on it.

For what it's worth.

I looked in the engine compartment to the fuse panels. One of the panels had a relay for the fog lights. The relay had an "X" on it. I took the relay out and put it in the spot for the horn relay, (after removing the horn relay, of course).

Once substituted in there, the horn no longer worked.

Not being a Marine (being paid for bravery), I reassembled the relays, went to the Bay and ordered a new (used) relay. I did not try the horn relay in the fog light slot -- don't want 2 things not working. Worst come to worst, I'll be out $4.

O'Reilly would have had to special order it.

So on Feb. 13th I should know if my debugging skills are still in shape.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Teching In

I replaced the relay with a new one and the foggies now work.

So $4 well spent.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Quick recovery. Good job

Quick Reply: Prior owner disconnected fog lights - how do I reconnect them?