Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

A poor kids f body journey begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I think the story came from some knock offs of another builders design. There are only so many ways you can build a low profile sheet metal intake. There were accusations of thinner gauge steel since they were form china, as well as the smoothing of the plenum not being present or the runners being rough on the inside, and both of these affecting the performance of the intake. Lets be honest though, if you are going sheet metal to begin with you should be aware of the low end peformance loss on a stock engine. my 414 in my sig is a l92 with ls3 intake and it makes 400rwtq at 3000rpm. I wouldnt say its giving up much. Would i gain some from a sheetmetal. Im not sure it may just shift the numbers around more than anything. Given I dont race it, im not really after peak numbers so if one day I decide I want that look id probably go the less expensive route as well.

there has always been a stigma about cheap chinese steel, how valid it is im not sure. I think if I were really after the peak power and head heads that could make use of the volume id probably go for the real deal. Wasnt there a dyno comparison recently amongst intakes and one of the ebay knockoffs was on it? may have to look at that. A stock ls would likely loose a lot of low end power with this though and that would be a trade off you would need to accept. Now if you are a cube monster you probably wouldnt even notice the initial drop off.
I agree not ever thingis made the same from what I have tested my tsp intake flows better with better velocity then a stock ls1 my turner says not losing much down low and with a stall you'll never feel it down there also at this point I'm on a ten bolt losing down low ain't the worst idea I personally went with looks and a little more performance
Old 04-28-2017, 08:31 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If I can piece together a LS3 intake and a DBC throttle body for less, I may get that and port it. If it is gonna be over 600$, I'll try the eBay intake. Looks like it needs injectors and done.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
You have come a long way in a short time with it, that's awesome. That screw in the piston though holy crap what a punch to the gut. Look forward to seeing it finished.

My only thought is someone swapped it over to LT style in hopes of tricking other LS guys into doing some runs. Personally I would probably be one of those guys. I have had LT cars and LS cars and if a LT guy wanted to run I wouldn't think twice. The sound of the two are very different to me so that would be a dead giveaway without looking under the hood but it could fool alot of people out of some pocket change thinking they are running a LT1

not to start a lt vs ls debate ....but why all the hate on the gen 2 lt1's. they get a bad rap but a well sorted and thought out build can easily reach 450 whp and would keep up on the street. most na h/c/i ls1 builds avg the same whp ...i dont see many pushing past 500 at least its easy to say just do a "ls swap" adds up quickly . we should be ganging up on the furd guys anyways.....
Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
If I can piece together a LS3 intake and a DBC throttle body for less, I may get that and port it. If it is gonna be over 600$, I'll try the eBay intake. Looks like it needs injectors and done.
Give tsp [top street performance ] a call
Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
not to start a lt vs ls debate ....but why all the hate on the gen 2 lt1's. they get a bad rap but a well sorted and thought out build can easily reach 450 whp and would keep up on the street. most na h/c/i ls1 builds avg the same whp ...i dont see many pushing past 500 at least its easy to say just do a "ls swap" adds up quickly . we should be ganging up on the furd guys anyways.....
becuase to me the design was not the best from gen 1s oiling sucks I will say lt1s stock heads ported flow damn well it's not because ls is newer or gods gift to the world just better in so many ways big and small
Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, working on LT1 sucks ***. Plug wire routing sucks ***. Opti sucks ***. Aftermarket for them sucks ***. Off shelf parts are **** compared to LS. Hard to look past all the bad *** capability of a LS and use one of those 6 year run pains in the ***.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yea, working on LT1 sucks ***. Plug wire routing sucks ***. Opti sucks ***. Aftermarket for them sucks ***. Off shelf parts are **** compared to LS. Hard to look past all the bad *** capability of a LS and use one of those 6 year run pains in the ***.
i agree with all of that but there are simple solutions around all of that stuff. ive always liked the looks of the 93-97 cars. the exhaust note is considerably different and sounds more ol school muscle to me than the ls motors. no doubt advancements in ignition/pcm and you def have more aftermarket support but i like being different. its more enjoyable when you can win races with a 20+ yr old car. everyone assumes your the underdog.....
Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator

It's give and take. Such a middle bastard. The gen 1 is much more capable. I'd rather get more band for the buck. But you are also talking to a guy that throws carbs on LS engines. Lol
Old 05-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Thanks @Formula702 Since There seems to be a lot of questions to be on our intake I might as well chime in. We as a company are trying to prove that our intakes are high quality. Since I have joined the company many changes have been made to the intake. Being a fellow Motorsport enthusiast I push the company to focus on quality not quantity.
@ZONES89RS- Our intakes are compatible with stock fly-by-wire TB. It actually does a little better than with a 102mm. This is because it creates a venturi effect with the different sizes.
If you have any question do not hesitate to call I am always willing to help- Dan @ TSP
Old 05-15-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am jealous you lucked out with an LS1 car that had an LT1 front end conversion. I resent all the problems I have had just from a shop installing my water pump or optispark wrong, on numerous occasions. However, like the motor or not, if you drive it each day, it grows on you, and the exhaust tune grows on you. I am years away from a major overhaul and refurbishing of my car, but I do wish I had the knowledge to do that kind of work myself.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I am jealous you lucked out with an LS1 car that had an LT1 front end conversion. I resent all the problems I have had just from a shop installing my water pump or optispark wrong, on numerous occasions. However, like the motor or not, if you drive it each day, it grows on you, and the exhaust tune grows on you. I am years away from a major overhaul and refurbishing of my car, but I do wish I had the knowledge to do that kind of work myself.
I am finally about done car go s to dyno Tuesday to be tuned she starts up and runs pretty damn good all I have left is to find out why my ac won't come threw the vents I belive I left a vacuum like off
Gonna have to switch to a ls3 maf and make a aluminum piece the couplers just don't work for me
Dirty I know
Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

not sure how the LT1 bodies work Id assume they are the same, but there is a tiny vacuum hose that comes off the back of the intake opposite side of the brake booster. it goes to another small line and connector back where the ecm mounts. Ill take some pics of mine tonight If I think about it while im working on it I think its what feeds the vent selecttion ****. Cant wait to see how the intake performs
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
not sure how the LT1 bodies work Id assume they are the same, but there is a tiny vacuum hose that comes off the back of the intake opposite side of the brake booster. it goes to another small line and connector back where the ecm mounts. Ill take some pics of mine tonight If I think about it while im working on it I think its what feeds the vent selecttion ****. Cant wait to see how the intake performs
well there is a t one goes to the from one goes to the loom I took the bottom one that goes to the wire loom off and t Ed it up to the brake booster I started the car but didn't work ?only for 20 sec are so maybe not enough vacuum built up untuned ?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

one goes to a frame rail mounted cylinder on the passenger side and the other goes to the manifold...perhaps that year model is a bit different? Or it could be leak somewhere. its possible there isnt enough vacuum but probably not unless you have a very lopey cam and low idle
Old 05-30-2017, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula702
I'm in Las Vegas nv so today got the engine out didn't take to long had my 15 yo nephew there to help and get his little hands in spots I couldn't lol .here a few pics of it and after I got the motor out I tore it down real fast and seen some thing I have never seen before what you guys think ?
Odd
I got screwed
Ahhhh yes.... the old loose piston. Nothing a quality screw can't fix! Tighten her up a little biiiiiiiit and voila!!! You have yourself one rock solid piston sir.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree not ever thingis made the same from what I have tested my tsp intake flows better with better velocity then a stock ls1 my turner says not losing much down low and with a stall you'll never feel it down there also at this point I'm on a ten bolt losing down low ain't the worst idea I personally went with looks and a little more performance
The cheap ebay sheet metal intake suck ***** power wise for sure. They don't JUST shift the power up, the kill torque in general in order to gain a LITTLE bit on the top end. They look cool though. My gut tells me an LS6 intake would walk all over the same car with a sheet metal.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
The cheap ebay sheet metal intake suck ***** power wise for sure. They don't JUST shift the power up, the kill torque in general in order to gain a LITTLE bit on the top end. They look cool though. My gut tells me an LS6 intake would walk all over the same car with a sheet metal.
Well maybe I got my car Friday from the dyno as he was finishing up doing final pulls my rear u joint needed it's life so yea didn't get to finshh but my car made 443 to the wheels at 6200 before it gave it and was climbing I can't say what a ls6 intake will do becuase I have never used one but I don't think it's god like people portray it
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Well maybe I got my car Friday from the dyno as he was finishing up doing final pulls my rear u joint needed it's life so yea didn't get to finshh but my car made 443 to the wheels at 6200 before it gave it and was climbing I can't say what a ls6 intake will do becuase I have never used one but I don't think it's god like people portray it
so the car is running and doing well I'm having problems with a hanging idle other then that it's break in time I'm open header right now waiting for tsp duals

Quick Reply: A poor kids f body journey begins