Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Intermittent Start Issue

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Intermittent Start Issue

01' Firebird V6 3.8 103,000 miles

Hey everyone, I've been having some issues with the ignition for the past few months. It's happened to me at least five times and the video being shown is probably the fifth, it's left me stranded 2 times. It would finally turn over from anywhere between 5-30 tries after turning the key. I first bypassed the VATS and it seemed to work at first but failed again after 1 month so I took the bypass off. Then I replaced the ignition relay and worked for 2 weeks before failing on me again. It would happen randomly, it can fail after I pump gas for 5 minutes or come back from class after 3 hours. After the 5th time it failed at night I decided to call for a tow in the morning because it wouldn't start at all, but just to my luck it started working 1st thing in the morning as soon as the tow came. I just sat there starting it at least 50 times in a row ever since and it started every time fml. I can't diagnose or have my mechanics diagnose the problem if I can't get it to fail. I'm worried that I will get stranded again when I go back to school.

I don't think it would be the starter or starter solenoid if it can start multiple times in a row. Is this true? I read some forums saying it could be the BCM module but my radio and power windows have never failed.

Any suggestions or advice will be helpful, Thank you.
Attached Files
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Random questions; Are your keys in your pocket? Do you have an aftermarket alarm? Have you checked the terminals from the battery and starter?

I ask the pocket question because my sisster's mudstain did exactly that sometimes when she left her keys in her pocket. Something about static build up, magic, and etc... as soon as she stopped putting her keys in her pocket and using a carabiner, the issue completely disappeared.

The aftermarket alarm was an issue I had, the VATS light would be on however the connection to the battery for the aftermarket alarm wasn't making good contact always which made my issue intermittent. Found it called it a dirty name, made new fittings, threatened it. Issue disappeared.

Here's the fun test for your starter if it doesn't start, give a nice clean hit with a hammer; not hard enough to dent it but not too soft. Need to hit her just right! If it starts up possibly the issue.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Im with Draik

It seems to be more of a key related issue. Is the chip deal in the key loose at all?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont know about V6 but i had a Intermittent Start Issue on mine LS-1 TA couple of years ago. Random when i should start the car nothing happens similar as the clip above.
I narrowed down the problem to the fuse names STATR. There was a bad connection between fuse and fuse holder. Fixed it and problem has never occurred anymore.

starting and charging schematics for LS-1, maybe it can help? Should be something similar setup for V-6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Start Issue