Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Taillight problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight problems

Ok heres the deal... i have a 94 firebird gt automatic lt1 and my right tail light will not light completely up. When i hit my brakes my left light is just fine and bright, my right one is barely there. I know its not the light bulbs lol, and the wiring seems just fine. Also when i have my headlights on my left blinker indicator will stay on in my dash(but not on the outside ) also when i use my blinker with my headlights on the left on blinks normaly, but the right one blinks at half the speed. If you guys want more info just ask and ill try to respond quickly, thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your flasher is a thermal flasher and needs current to work. It's acting up because there isn't enough current draw to the bulbs.

So, your regular lights and your turn signals have the problem.

shbox posts the schematics for your car: http://shbox.com/1/exterior_lights.htm If you click through the links, you'll see that the power source for both the regular lights and the turn signals is different... but you have a common problem.

I would think the most likely issue you have is a grounding issue for all the bulbs on that side.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joemt772
Ok heres the deal... i have a 94 firebird gt automatic lt1 and my right tail light will not light completely up. When i hit my brakes my left light is just fine and bright, my right one is barely there. I know its not the light bulbs lol, and the wiring seems just fine. Also when i have my headlights on my left blinker indicator will stay on in my dash(but not on the outside ) also when i use my blinker with my headlights on the left on blinks normaly, but the right one blinks at half the speed. If you guys want more info just ask and ill try to respond quickly, thanks
You are not using LED bulbs in your tail lights, are you? If you are using regular incandescent bulbs, do you have the correct ones, the number model I mean? I have had shops in the past replace my bulbs with single filament types or some bizarre bulb that was dual filament yet it was still not quite right with my car, and it caused problems with the turn signal!

If it is not the bulbs, how about the sockets? Are any sockets badly corroded? I have had to splice in two new light bulb sockets thus far!

If this is not the case, maybe your tail light reflector is peeling away? This is what is happening on my tail lights, although I am not sure how dim they are compared to when they were new.

With regards to your turn signal blinking issues, I would check those bulbs out and the sockets! When I had a bad driver side turn signal socket, my indicator light would stay solid when the signal switch was engaged.

If it is not this, it could be a bad turn signal switch, and maybe a bad relay. These are some of the problems I have come across with my car.

Quick Reply: Taillight problems