Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Gen 4 Trans Am Foglight to Headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gen 4 Trans Am Foglight to Headlight conversion

Has anyone ever installed projector headlights in the fog light holes and ran with the pop ups down all the time? I'm going to do it soon, just curious if anyone else has already done it.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by nickmkk
Has anyone ever installed projector headlights in the fog light holes
This is not legal.

ran with the pop ups down all the time?
This is not legal, either.

Are you a cop? Trying to flush someone out? lol

On a serious note; there has been discussion on both of these points before in the forums. You might search if you really want to read it, but both would violate DOT regulations and State laws. They would be a golden invitation for the police to pull you over and would definitely result in a ticket if that happens.

More importantly (for some) would be that headlighting devices in the fog light locations can't be aimed properly. (Your pop-ups have the left light aimed inward.) As such, there is no way that one could avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

If your goal is to not use the pop-up lights, you could drive a Camaro, but all of us here understand wanting to avoid the stigma that goes along with that! There are also euro/aero kits to replace the pop-ups on the Firebird.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I didn't know that was illegal, not sure why it would be as long as the lights were set up properly... I like the trans ams and have had mine since I was 17 so I won't be driving a camaro anytime soon.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not convert the pop up light to stationary clear ones. Better aerodynamics and you don't have to worry about a headlight motor going bad.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks, I didn't know that was illegal, not sure why it would be as long as the lights were set up properly... I like the trans ams and have had mine since I was 17 so I won't be driving a camaro anytime soon.
"Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches" Of course, you could always put a lift kit on your car to bring the fog lights up to the 24" minimum height.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
"Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches" Of course, you could always put a lift kit on your car to bring the fog lights up to the 24" minimum height.
Oh interesting, thanks. I will just stick with the stock lights, I just thought it would be a cool idea to use the fog light holes. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Oh interesting, thanks. I will just stick with the stock lights, I just thought it would be a cool idea to use the fog light holes. Thanks for the info guys.
If you want to start to learn more about this stuff, here's a very basic article on how headlights are adjusted. (The physical devices need to be in certain places, as mentioned above, for the proper geometry to work out.) http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to...am-headlights/

Like everything, CA is very instructive in this area for its citizenry: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Lamp_Handbook_9.3.15.pdf
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Oh - BTW - If you ever remove the Firebird headlight bezels, watch out? The headlight adjusting screws (not the best design) are right by the screws that need to be taken off to remove the headlight bulbs! (If turned, the headlights fall out of adjustment.)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Oh - BTW - If you ever remove the Firebird headlight bezels, watch out? The headlight adjusting screws (not the best design) are right by the screws that need to be taken off to remove the headlight bulbs! (If turned, the headlights fall out of adjustment.)
Thanks, I definitely removed them, lol. To be honest, i'm starting to have second thoughts about restoring this car. It's a Firebird that I was going to convert to a Trans Am but the number of parts that I need are racking up. Also, the car isn't in as good of shape as I thought, the rust is a killer up here in Northern MN. I think I might just try to find a decent trans am with high miles and restore that instead.

Quick Reply: Gen 4 Trans Am Foglight to Headlight conversion