Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help diagnosing this problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help diagnosing this problem.

Alright, i have a 1998 firebird V6 3.8. i just replaced all the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the ignition coils. so my problem is that every once and awhile it will make a ticking sound, and my RPM needle starts to move really rough, but it happens very randomly. yesterday i was driving home, and it started clicking again, yet this time i was losing power, and i could not accelerate in second gear, and it was overheating. eventually it started to accelerate again, and the gauge lights were no longer dimmed. id love to hear your onions on the matter.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like you could have an electrical arc somewhere from a cut or bad wire. If the clicking happens with the cylinders firing, it could be a bad plug wire. (They will have enough voltage moving through them to easily arc outside the insulation if there is a cut.) If this is going on, it should be apparent to see in a dark environment. (at night, etc.)

Did this only start after you changed the plug wires?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Teching In

yes, roughly. it happens about every time i drive the car now.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
It sounds like you could have an electrical arc somewhere from a cut or bad wire. If the clicking happens with the cylinders firing, it could be a bad plug wire. (They will have enough voltage moving through them to easily arc outside the insulation if there is a cut.) If this is going on, it should be apparent to see in a dark environment. (at night, etc.)

Did this only start after you changed the plug wires?
This. You cut a wire, or didnt plug it in all the way. Poops happens.

Check it at night like suggested. Shouldnt be hard to see, but could be its arcing right at the plug. Might be arcing behind something you cant see. But, would recheck all wires by removing them and looking for signs at the plug end.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Okay, but please define what you mean by an "arching" spark plug wire?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you search YouTube for Spark Plug Wire arching, you should get a number of videos of it/the problem.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I had my 97 bird it would shutter when trying to accelerate and was caused by a spark plug wire sitting on top of the manifold and getting too hot and melted. Like everyone above said, probably change your wires and make sure they are not resting on the intake manifold.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Teching In

its no longer overheating as fast, changed the thermostat, but the RPMS are still lagging.. any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Does your check engine light come on or flash? I had a problem somewhat like this with the '97 V-6 Firebird that I had. It would mis-fire while under a load but run fine otherwise. Weak power. A spark plug wire had a worn spot underneath and blew out one of the 3 coils in the pack.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Teching In

No, not at all. thats the weird thing about it...
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Okay, so ive been doing a little bit of research, and i think it cold possibly be a bad clutch plate. please tell me if im wrong. the RPMs still jump when im driving, and it still overheats, but doesnt really start to climb in TEMP until i hit 5th gear. id love to hear everyones thoughts about it.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember correctly, those 3.8s will cut wires easily on the passenger side when routing around/through water pump. I did this multiple times on my moms 01. Pain in the ***, cant remember what I eventually did to make it work and not **** up. This was 7ish years ago.

ETA: Forgot this part....

Point being, you may not be able to see arcs, I couldnt and only found it when I took wires back off to double check everything.

Last edited by demonsmokr; 06-06-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Forgot detail