Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WS6 headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 headlight issue

I read the sticky @ the top already, I've been around long enough to know better.

Anyhow, I was having the dreaded headlight gear issue on the passenger light on my car. Well, I've been working all week so I havent had a chance to fix it yet. Its been going on for almost the whole week now, and today when I go out to my car, no noise!!!? Same thing again later on in the day. The only thing different was when I went to unlock my door via remote, my alarm chirped 3 times. I'm wondering if somehow I have a shorted wire or something somewhere that was causing my headlights to act up!?

Anyone ever heard of having the headlight gear issue then it magically went away?!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

My 99' Bird would have a problem after a pressure wash in freezing weather with the driver side. As soon as the car was able to warm up enough and sit long enough to allow evaporation the light would work again. But right after a wash in freezing weather it would stick open or close depending on position shortly after drive.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

today i was washing mine, and when i was done i hit the lock button and the lights went up and down and started making this noise like the motor was trying to close the headlight when it was already closed, and it wouldnt stop. so i messed around with the control inside and still wouldnt stop it. then i started hitting buttons on my remote entry and it finaly stopped. now, everytime i either lock or unlock my car the headlights pop up and then go back down and make the noise. REALLLY ANNOYING!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black00TA
today i was washing mine, and when i was done i hit the lock button and the lights went up and down and started making this noise like the motor was trying to close the headlight when it was already closed, and it wouldnt stop. so i messed around with the control inside and still wouldnt stop it. then i started hitting buttons on my remote entry and it finaly stopped. now, everytime i either lock or unlock my car the headlights pop up and then go back down and make the noise. REALLLY ANNOYING!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
I would recommend this site:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Old 09-28-2004, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

LS1 birds tend to do that when the headlight motor gear is stripped. I replaced my gears with the brass gears last year. No complaints here. Check out Franker's sight. There is even a vid of the install on an LS1 car.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, just a stripped gear. It's an easy fix.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem a few months ago and someone on this forum sent me to rodneydickman.com This guy sells mostly fiero parts but when you get to the site click online fiero shopping then electrical. The replacement brass gears for your T/A will be available. The gears you have now are very brittle plastic....ack! The stripped gears will make your keyless do some funky stuff.

Quick Reply: WS6 headlight issue