Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question about oil pressure on 97 firebird!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about oil pressure on 97 firebird!

Hey guys noobie to cars back again with another question so I have a 97 firebird formula with the lt1 and t56 80k miles and I'm just wondering about the oil pressure. Upon initial start of the car the car will be sitting at about 50 psi once the car warms up though after I've gotten on it a bit into the higher rpms the idle psi drops down to about 25 psi and once I start moving again the psi will go right back up to 40 psi and that is where it will remain until the car goes back into idle. At idle the oil pressure light does not come on at all. It did come on before when it had really bad leaks so I know the light works and I know for a fact it isn't leaking now as I spent about 1500 to get all of its leaks serviced as the car sat for man years. So the question I'm asking is is it normal because I've seen things about belt driven oil pumps and how at idle it'll go down like that but I've also never seen it. And I know higher oil pressure is sought after so I'm wondering if I should get it checked out or if it's fine. Because money is a little tight right now and it's my daily. Thanks for your time guys!
Old 02-13-2023, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

That is totally normal behavior you are seeing. As the engine (and oil) warms up, the oil viscosity (thickness) reduces and it takes less pressure for the oil to squeeze out through the bearing clearances. At idle, the speed slows to the point less pressure is produced by the oil pump. There are no belt driven oil pumps on any GM V8 that I'm aware of, certainly not in the 2nd-gen LT1.

Quick Reply: Question about oil pressure on 97 firebird!