Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Under carpet?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under carpet?

So, I let my friend drive my T/A for a bit today. Sitting in the passanger seat for the first time, I noticed a bump at my feet. It's flush up against the center dash area and square. It's a little too big for an amp (besides, why would anyone put one there). What is it?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

It's the way the floor is molded. all of them have it
Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is there because the LT1's had a cat there. And GM never bothered to smooth out the floor pan when the ls1s went in..
Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
It is there because the LT1's had a cat there. And GM never bothered to smooth out the floor pan when the ls1s went in..
The reason GM didn't smooth it out is because alterations to the floor pan would require new crash testing. GM didn't want to slow down bringing the mid-cylcle update to market and they didn't want to pay for the costs involved in re-crashing and re-certifying the car.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
The reason GM didn't smooth it out is because alterations to the floor pan would require new crash testing. GM didn't want to slow down bringing the mid-cylcle update to market and they didn't want to pay for the costs involved in re-crashing and re-certifying the car.
This is a perfect example of why GM lost the pony-car market to the Mustang. In every Car and Driver review I've read about a 4th-gen f-bod they complained about that stupid hump in the floor that remained long after it was no longer needed. Cheap-*** GM refused to listen to the critics and invest in these little improvements that would've made the f-bod a much more attractive car to the masses and help sales. But NOOOOoooooo..............

At least they were smart enough to put it on the passenger side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Under carpet?