Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

problem with interior lights and trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with interior lights and trunk

I have a 1999 convertible Trans am.
None of the interior courtesy lights come on when either of the doors are opened. These include the ones on the doors and on the side panels in rear passanger seats .They don't even turn on when I move the thumbwheel to the top, only the gauges light up.

The only lights that work are the ones from glove box and the rear view mirror, but rear view mirror ones have to be manually turned on. I am also noticing that sometimes the power locks stop working. The trunk release button stopped working too. And the light int the trunk does not light up even when I manually open the trunk with the key.

I have checked the fuse and all work except #16 IP Dimmer 5amp fuse. But, the fuse looks perfect, I replaced that fuse with a new one and it still does not light up.

any help is appreciated
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wanting to learn towards it being a ground issue, and if that fuse is toast then I'd almost think part of the dimmer switch is shot. Depending on how expensive they are, might want to look into getting a new one. Or if a friend has one, maybe they'll let you try theirs in your car (make sure to check the fuse again, might even want to check it right now again to see if it's blown).

Other than that... I'm at a loss.