Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Figured Out What Drag Radial/Wheel Combo I'm Gonna Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Figured Out What Drag Radial/Wheel Combo I'm Gonna Use

I've been looking into various options for putting drag radials on my G8 for a while now. It actually hooked very well at the track and even on the street in warm weather, but in the cold it spins badly, even through 2nd gear on very cold days. Also, once I put more power to it, traction is going to be a problem.

I would like to get a Nitto 555R on it at some point, because I've used them in the past and they hook decent and last a long time for a drag radial. Also, they make a Nitto in 285/40ZR18, that is the stock height.

In the meantime though, I just want to get something on the car so I can have some fun and not spend a ton of money. I figured it was a long shot, but I have a set of American Racing Torque Thrust M's on my Z28, with Mickey Thompson drag radials on them. The wheels are 17x9.5 and the tires are 295/45R17's. The stock tires are 26.8" tall and the Mickey Thompsons are 27.2" tall. A little off, but close enough for my purposes.

I honestly didn't have much hope that this setup was going to fit, but I tried it out for the hell of it and it fits awesome. No clearance issues at all.

Don't mind the car being dirty, we just got hit with some snow yesterday.

Stock wheel/tire:

Drag radial setup:

This setup fills out out the wheel well, sitting much closer to the edge of the fender, instead of being tucked way in like the stock tire. I like it and think it looks much more aggressive.

Now that I know they fit, my plan is to pick up a set of silver painted ZR1's in the same size and throw a new set of these tires on. Should match the stock fronts well enough that it won't be glaringly obvious when I have them on the car, and should hook awesome.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running a Chrome 17x9.5 ZR1 rear wheels with 26x11.5x17 ET Streets they are really 26.5 tall so same as factory and for the daily i have 20x8 chrome camaro SS wheels and 20x9 Chrome camaro SS rears (ordered anyways)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM

I've seen a few with the Camaro wheels and they always look very sharp. I like these MT's so I'll probably get a new set with some painted ZR1's so that it somewhat matches the stock fronts. Some day I do want to get a nice set of 18's for everyday with Nittos out back. When I do that the stock wheels will probably get some snow tires.

Quick Reply: Figured Out What Drag Radial/Wheel Combo I'm Gonna Use