Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Impressions of the G8 from the Detroit NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Impressions of the G8 from the Detroit NAIAS

First...hey GM you guys really messed up! No brochures there? Lots of people checking out, photographing the G8 and not one piece of literature! M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. Surprisingly the stack of 2009 Vibe posters were not moving at all...

On to the Car.

Exterior: Looked better in person than in the pics. Red one looked good, silver one not so good (I am not a big silver fan), black was hot. The Base level wheels weren't very nice either...the up level wheels were decent, but it really needs bigger more distinctive wheels..
Its nice but its no WS6 TA (Does much else really compare?)

Interior: I was disappointed. The one we could sit in, a G8 GT, was not as nice as I expected. It looked to have lower quality materials than I was hoping for and too much damn grey PLASTIC. Definately less quality materials than what the 04-06 GTOs have. From a looks perspective, the "new" Malibu interior looked nicer--esp the dash. Definately will want the two tone, unless you're a big fan of Graphite PLASTIC. Seats weren't as nice as the GTO...in fact, I couldn't tell if they were better than my 04 GP seats.

Overall the interior *might* have been somewhere between the GP GXP and regular GP. I certainly didn't see it as much of a step up from my 04 GP...and maybe a bit of let down compared to my 04 GTO. Certainly isn't gonna compete with any BMW interior.

I wasn't pleased or impressed as I'd hoped.

I sat in Dodge Charger for comparison..Interior and seats were better than the G8. I'd also probably have to give the Charger the nod on looks (it was a Daytona one). Not good for Pontiac. Of course the g8 will likely be about 1 sec faster so that's a good thing.

I also sat in an Acura as well..its interior was *way* nicer than the G8. Not even in competition..now to be fair the Acura was listed at 36K so its a little pricier and no V8, but still.

Definately have to see how it drives, and it better drive awfully well..but my viewing definately convinced me to wait for at least till 2009 and hope for some GXP type upgrades. It certainly didn't make enough of an impression to make me want to trade in my GTP (my DD).

Side RANT: Only the Yellow Bumblebee Camaro was there...again, how about keeping the interest alive GM--give us a Camaro we can sit in. Although I will point out it wasn't only GM, I asked the Dodge folks "Where is the Challenger?" Nope it wasn't there?!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good review So do you think its worth the price tag or no? I really don't see this car selling for under 30K when the stealers get ahold of em

With that said I can't wait for my first test drive
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worth it? Probably.

It will take a test drive to determine that...the interior is ok, but not good--typical GM interior. But this car isn't billed as a "great" interior.

How will it handle? or more importantly accelerate?

A nice riding, nice driving, good handling, fast good looking sedan can make up for it, esp if its priced competitively (eg. GT < 35K or so.).

I would also bet GM will tweak it for 2009..

Quick Reply: Impressions of the G8 from the Detroit NAIAS