Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO's and baby's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO's and baby's...

I'm in the market for a new car next year, and me being me, I start the research early.

I love 4th gens and still own one, turning it into a road race car. I wanted another one, a LS1. But we're going to be starting a family soon and I know baby seats and 4th gens don't go well. Not impossible, but not ideal. Another thing is my wife isn't comfortable in the car.

So then I started looking at G8 GT's. Looks like a great car, but it's a little more than I want to spend. Then I found out the GTO not only is cheaper, but lighter with more power as well.

Personally, the looks of the car doesn't do it for me, but I can get past that. I've heard wonderful things about the interior, which is huge positive.

So, being a 2 door, it must make getting a baby in and out of the back a challenge. How bad is it? Deal breaker? Are road trips comfortable?

One more question. I know wheels and suspension is a weak point, but possible to upgrade. But how does the LS1 compare to the LS2? I know the LS1 is a great engine, and I like the fact the TB is cable driven. Is the LS2 that much better of a design?

Thanks guys!
Steve
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls1 vs ls2 debate has been beaten to death.

as far as comfy, yes, the gto is ridiculously
comfy on long trips. i would say a rear facing
car seat would be a no go. front facing, can
fit, but very tight. and the car seat may make
impressions in the bolsters over time. you can
upgrade the 04 gto brakes to the 05/06 set
up with ease.

i'd save up and go for the g8 gt. we have one
of those as well ( i dd an 04 gto ). the g8 is
pure awesomeness from a family car standpoint.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I have an 05 GTO and a 1 year old. A rear facing seat does fit with the passenger seat forward, but its tight if someone is in the passenger seat. Forward facing is no problem. I don't leave the seat in the car cause I don't want to wear/wrinkle the seat.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COSTIGAN86
I have an 05 GTO and a 1 year old. A rear facing seat does fit with the passenger seat forward, but its tight if someone is in the passenger seat. Forward facing is no problem. I don't leave the seat in the car cause I don't want to wear/wrinkle the seat.
This^
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Teching In

in my fbody it was easy to get infant car seat in and out of back seat, but the gto has shorter doors, so there isn't as much room to get into the back seat. Even with front seat all the way forward and folded up, it was a real challenge to get baby seat back there, especially with baby in the seat already. First week I got the gto I went and got a "toddler" car seat to leave in the car. When I had it facing rear it wasn't easy to get child in and out, but it was manageable, but passenger had no leg room. Now it is faced forward, and fairly easy to get my son in and out.
So...if you have an infant and get car seat in and out daily, then I would hold off until child is old enough to not need portable car seat.
As far as comfort, the camaro sucked, gto is awesome.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say from experience as I don't have a child, but I can't imagine it's easy to get one in and out. If you're ok with a slight hassle, go for it. Otherwise, I'd listen to Chawlz and put it off until said child is a little older and can do it themselves.

Quick Reply: GTO's and baby's...