Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control

When I first drove an 04 GTO, the traction control was too intrusive when I floored the car in a straight line. The 06 I just drove was much better in a straight line, but the TC seemed to have little effect on one turn. I was in a big empty asphalt parking lot and when I turned, very little throttle was needed to break loose -- TC on or off, stick or automatic. It was 70 F outside, dry and near sea level in Florida.

Was it the tires, maybe? Is there aftermarket rubber with more grip than the Bridgestone Potenza R040s on my demos? Or maybe it's just the nature of the car? I've been driving Audis lately, so I may be a little spoiled by AWD. But I've often had RWD before and the GTO was slippery in that turn, with seemingly little or no help from TC.

Last edited by JAXRS6; 01-10-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I have spun several times with my 05 also with TC on, probably just a weak TC?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

I've always noticed my TC kicks in sooner when I have the wheel turned unless I apply liberal amounts of throttle. Straight line TC lets me get a little more spin before it pulls back the fun though. Tonight on a very slight slippery road with TC on it did kick the rear out quite wildly around a corner when I blipped the throttle lighly. (I was expecting it to, but not as much as it did.) It just depends, sometimes the tires grip the pavement better than others when it kicks the rear out. By no means is it a wild freakshow unless you drive it to be that. (In which case, you'd want to turn TC off for best results.)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Teching In

my T/C is weak.. I can get squirrely in the turns if I wanted to with t/c on.. wet pavement this morning from fog and rain last night caused me to have some fun this morning.. took off from a light easily till I pushed it passing 3500 rpms tires kicked loose and t/c never came on.. shifted 2nd and t/c grabbed right away and took my fun away
I usually have no problems getting the tires to kick loose with t/c on.. but I normally drive with it off.. Everyday routine: Turn ignition to on, T/C OFF, SEG as I'm leaving the driveway..