Project Comments & Discussion Use this forum to discuss Sponsor projects.

Ls1 400hp awd build.🤔🤔

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ls1 400hp awd build.🤔🤔

Hi all first ever post on here about my build.

First off I'm in Australia so things are a bit different here to the USA on what we can and can't do with engine vs car size weight.
The engine of choice for for this build is a alloy 5.7 LS1
I'm taking the driveline from what we call a 2004 vy adventra similar to the USA Tahoe awd driveline I think. (I might be wrong).
It's a Ls1 5.7 346 engine and 4l65e awd gearbox so 4 speed automatic box.
I've fitted it into a 1976 LX hatchback torana. 1250KG. Down from the Adventra 1985kg weight.

If I had enough coin I would buy a 6.0 bottom end but they are rather expensive here for just a block you are looking at anywhere upto $4000.

So staying with the 5.7 block and aiming for 400 awd hp around 600 to 650hp at the flywheel.
On race gas or turbo charged this would be quite easily achievable but our rules for vehicles are very different to the USA so those options are out of the question. Dam fun police.🤣🤣

So the engine has to stay N/A and be drive able on the street at as low as 40k's in our school zones appoxmently 25mph.
Also the GM Holden 2004 vy adventra computer system has to stay in tacked for the system to all work and not shut the engine down into limp mode.

Yes it can be dyno tuned and flashed with new tune but the system has to have all the abs traction control and other electrics left in place.

So now that im done with the boring stuff here is the list of engine components ive selected for the build.

Factory ls1 alloy block fully machined to suit build and zero deck height.
Factory crank with all the bells and whistles done.
6.3 inch Callies comp star connecting rods.
DSS forged 3.903 6cc dome top pistons with 1.115 pin height.
.040 head gasket.
Gen X 215 race cnc ported heads with 64cc chamber topped with a Holley mid rise 4150 single plane inlet manifold with a 2 inch spacer to help with low speed torque by increasing runner length.
The throttle body is a 1000cfm 4bbl unit.
600cc injectors fed by -6 fuel lines and intank walbro fuel pump.
Exhaust headers are custom made 1 7/8 4 into 1 equial length 32 inch headers to 3 1/2 collectors.
Exhaust system is a dual 3 inch system with 100 cel cats large volume x pipe and race style mufflers.

Cam is a comp cams hydraulic roller 227 235 113+4 so 109 inlet and 117 exhaust lsa.
Comp cams valve springs to suit cam.
Johnson short travel tie bar hydraulic roller lifters.
going over kill on rocker arms with Jisel shaft mount rockers so no problems with how harsh this cam/springs combo are on valve train and 7200rpm rev limit.
static compression is 11.78 to 1.
Dynamic compression ratio is 9.1 to 1 or 194psi according to online calculators.
Only draw back is the octane of fuel being used.
here in Australia we have what we call pump 98 octane that is the equivalent to 93 octane in the USA.
yes we have E85 but I don't want to use it as the car could sit for weeks at a time.
I have to stay with the stock converter lock up of 1850rpm or the system will have a melt down with rpm speed vs wheel speed sensors. Plus being a street car/show car it has a great rpm range of 1900 to 7000rpm. Big wide power curve. Perfect for the street and not a pig pushing at a set of traffic lights.

What is everyone's thoughts on this combo. Do you think it will make my hp goals or be a big failure. 🤔🤔🤔

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 621 Likes on 491 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

First thought: You posted in entirely the wrong section.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

What should it be under as I thought it was in the build thread that I put it in??
new to the fourm as of 2 days ago.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Any pictures? I'm interested in how you installed the front driveline stuff. I'm considering doing something similar (also in Australia, also from an Adventra, but not into a Torana)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SirNemesis
Any pictures? I'm interested in how you installed the front driveline stuff. I'm considering doing something similar (also in Australia, also from an Adventra, but not into a Torana)
Jump on Facebook and go onto the adventra Facebook pages and you will find photos of it.​​​​​​​or look at my profile on here and you'll see my other post have photos of the build in it.

Quick Reply: Ls1 400hp awd build.🤔🤔