Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009 | 02:45 PM
Teching In

Default Tensioner

Is the factory belt tensioner a problem when used at track events? I need to purchase one and I'm trying to decide between the factory auto tensioner versus one of the aftermarket tensioners.
Old 01-04-2009 | 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the factory seat belt system works fine for a track day (school, lapping, solo ..... not door-to-door!) and if you get yourself a CG lock, it's the closest thing to having a 5-point harness .

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

I have a CG lock and I wouldn't go without one now. I'd even like to put one in my Avalanche to keep me more secure in the slippery leather seat!
Old 01-05-2009 | 04:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ha ha, now that I'm reading this again, I realized you might be talking about the serpentine belt tensioner on the motor! FWIW, I haven't had a problem with that either, other than the bearing dried out after a few years, so I re-greased it .

So which one is it?!
Old 01-06-2009 | 07:19 PM
Teching In

I was talking about the serpentine belt. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-07-2009 | 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have had my belt get partially off the tensioner pully a couple of times but never came off. I just put on a new OEM tensioner and pully and am hoping that will fix it.
Old 01-10-2009 | 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Mine has chewed up a few belts, there's a weird harmonic vibraton in the upper rev range that causes this. You may want to invest in a Katech unit if you go to the track often.
Old 01-11-2009 | 09:39 AM
Teching In

Use the 05-later LS2 and LS7 serpentine belt tensioner. With the stock tensioner on my 02 Z06 , I would come back with my serpentine belt off a couple of ribs after 20-30 minutes on the roadcourse. I since switched to the later model tensioner which has higher pulley end ribs (deep groove pulley) and have absolutely no issues........I am not nice to it either 570 rwhp, 7700-7800 rpm ....no mercy up and down shifts.......

Works for me, probably will work for you.
Old 01-14-2009 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Works for me, probably will work for you.
That's an understatment if it works for Danny it will work for you.

I've actually replaced a couple of Katech units with the LS2/7 style. If you use a fresh belt with the Katech tensioner you will need to check the tension each day before the event (not a bad idea), plus without a digital torque wrench how do you know if you are putting 25lbs of pressure on the belt. The LS2/7 tensioner is set it and forget it.
If you are using any underdrive pullies you will have to make sure that the belt tensioner is in the middle of it's operating range, if it's too tight the tensioner will "bounce" off of the stop and that will cause your belt to jump so you have to make sure the belt is the right size.