Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

A few suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 02:09 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few suspension questions

I have taken another direction with my car and will be turning it more into something that can be taken autocrossing or roadracing instead of the drag strip (I'll be getting another LS1 f-body soon for the drag racing part ). The car has a stock motor in it right now. It will be getting the normal bolt ons and a small cam, with 4:10s in a few months. I'm trying to get the suspension sorted out first before doing anymore engine mods. Here is what I have now:

- 1LE front and rear sway bars
- BMR LCAs
- BMR adj. PHR
- BMR STB

My main question is in regards to shocks. I'm considering the Ground Control coilover kit with Eibachs. What shocks should I go with? I'm leaning towards a set of Koni SAs or a some revalved Bilsteins from Sam Strano. What would be the pros/cons of each? What spring rates should I go with for a mainly street driven car with occasional track use? Is the ride adversely effected with a setup like this?

Jason
Old 10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
SSU Moderator

Default Re: A few suspension questions

i don't have an answer...but I have a suggestion.

If it was me...my list would start and end w/ 2 people.

Lou Gigliotti
Jordon Musser

Ryan
Old 10-21-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

A very well balanced and ~inexpensive kit is the SLP/Bilstein kit that came on Y2Y SS'es. It has Eibach progressive springs, Bilstein shocks, 35mm hollow front, 21mm rear solid. It drops 3/4", is very civilized on the street, and is somewhat competitive at the local level.

It will make a HUGE difference on a Z-28/TA/Formula. Guys who I let race my car a few laps were surprised how well balanced the car was for a low-budget suspension.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

PS - 3.73's are a better choice for AutoX or Road Race. Gears are only legal for AutoX SM (street modified) though.

A Torsen T2R posi is a really worth while investment.

With the 3.73's and the T2R, and a stock engine (2000 SS w/SLP suspension) I would run mid 12's on Saturday, and place in the top 25% in AutoX on Sunday, and drive the kids to school on Monday.