Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Does LS6 have the same oiling issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does LS6 have the same oiling issue?

I'm building a LS6 for my 98 T/A and I'm planning on doing some occasional Auto Cross racing. I've heard countless times about the oiling problems the LS1 has. Does the LS6 have the same shortcomings? I was looking at buying a morroso oil pan w/pick ups in efforts to avoid potential oiling issues......good idea?.....Also, I've heard of people using a C5 "batwing" oil pan? Whats that all about?

Thanks guys
Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drill the lifter cups & use a pre-oiler & it should be OK.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The T1 guys have been flogging there LS6 crate motors for years without issues. If you can fit the batwing pan in I would do it. No offense but you're not going to beat your car nearly as hard as those guys do. My advice is to buy a crate long block leave it stock and beat the snot out of it.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're prbably right! haha! I don't plan on beating the absolute dogsh#t out of it! lol I just want to autocross it once and awhile and have a cool weekend car.

I already have the ls6 in the garage and I'm looking to swap it next month. I havent skimped anywhere in the build. I just don't want to blow it up because I overlooked something.

You think the batwing is better than the morosso? Do you think the Batwing pan would fit with my stock k member? I'd rather go with morosso if its's gonna be a BEAST to get the vette pan in.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AsEpSiS
you're prbably right! haha! I don't plan on beating the absolute dogsh#t out of it! lol I just want to autocross it once and awhile and have a cool weekend car.

I already have the ls6 in the garage and I'm looking to swap it next month. I havent skimped anywhere in the build. I just don't want to blow it up because I overlooked something.

You think the batwing is better than the morosso? Do you think the Batwing pan would fit with my stock k member? I'd rather go with morosso if its's gonna be a BEAST to get the vette pan in.
I don't believe the batwing pan will clear the k-member on an F-Body.

Other options include adding an oil accumulator (Accusump) and/or running one of our trap-door oil pan baffles for the stock F-Body pan. An aftermarket pan will work too, but the stock pan is a nice cast-aluminum piece and provides structural support to the engine. Aftermarket pans are expensive and often tend to leak. That said, the Moroso aluminum pan is definitely one of the better ones. If you go with an aftermarket pan, you want something all aluminum (the block is aluminum, so steel pans are not a good idea) with a billet rail (less likely to leak).

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube