Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First HPDE Checklist -- Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my first HPDE (Sears Point), the only thing I had done to my car is pads, brake ducts (I just attached them to the lower airdam), had wheels/tires on it already, a 35mm sway bar, and a poly/poly panhard bar which I since replaced (rod/rod adjust.) long ago because the poly deflected enough to let the 315s rub the inner fenders. I brought with me a variety of fluids, rags, tools, etc. Everything fit into one of those big plastic totes that fit in the back seat. That first time was uneventful, but my second time (at Sears) I ran into a problem because I have a auto-tragic transmission. When I did the first HPDE I left the trans in drive. When I did the second HPDE I left it in second (stupid move) and overheated the powersteering fluid which popped the cap off (the dip stick was gone) and sprayed the engine compartment with fluid. The one thing I didn't bring was duct tape. Someone who was pitted next to me let me borrow his tape. Amazingly the cap was still in the engine compartment so I was able to refill the fluid and tape (alot of tape) the cap back on and limped home. Overall, I had alot of fun. If I hadn't left the trans in second, I wouldn't have a Turn One pump now! You don't need a bunch of spare parts for a HPDE if you just use your head!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If you are having tire rub issues now it will be worse on track. What Panhard bar is on the car?
Thanks for all of the help guys -- I'm obviously completely new to this.

I WAS having tire rub issues with the stock panhard bar and crappy knock-off brand shocks (I thought they were stock Decarbons with 50K miles on them however I just learned otherwise when we pulled them this weekend). We installed an UMI on-car adjustible panhard bar, new SLP Bilsteins in the front and rear and rolled the fenders so that should've fixed the tire rub issue.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by will62085
Are you doing NASA June 18th-19th?

I'll be there racing in American Iron. I'll be pitted with the MTI racing folk, come by and introduce yourself. I always love to see another F body out there!

The only issue I see is the tire rubbing. If it's rubbing on the street, it's sure as hell gonna rub on track. Get those types of issues sorted before showing up. If your around the Marietta area, bring your car by my house and I'll help you do a pre-event check.

As far as spares go. If you bring them, your won't need them! I bring a ton of stuff!
Thanks Will. I'm heading out there on June 6th with Chin Motorsports. Have a few buddies joining me and all 4 of us are 100% beginners. I've already agreed to leave my ego at home and just go out there to learn and have fun. It should be a really good time.

The tire rubbing issue is finally resolved (adjustible panhard, better shocks in the rear and rolled fenders).

I may be in the Marietta area shortly (heading over to my buddies shop to get the new rear tires mounted, balanced and to get a fresh alignment).
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a heim end or roto joint on both ends Panhard rod?

What size tire and what wheel?

Shocks have no control over tire rub issues.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 1st HPDE Experience

1st of all, I'm no expert (only 3 HPDEs) but here's my experience. My 1st was MSR cresson in Oct 2010. Car was an '02 M6 Z28 with bone stock suspension, brake rotors & calipers, 16x8 wheels (the optional polished ones ) and 245/50R16 tires. The car had bolt-on engine mods (headers, exhaust, lid, etc and a 160deg thermostat). Only "mods" I made specifically for the HPDE were:
  • complete brake fluid flush with ATE Super Blue
  • Hawk HPS brake pads front & rear
  • "street performance" front end alignment
The results of my weekend??
  • HAD A BLAST!
  • Learned power steering fluid will come out of the tank even though the cap is there
  • Learned my 50 series tires REALLY like to roll over when I enter a corner too fast no matter how much air I put in them
  • Listening to the instructors even when what they say seems counter-intuitive I learned how to drive my car better which actually winds up being easier on it
  • Did I mention I had a blast!
Things I changed because of the results of my first weekend:
  • Entered the turns slower
  • Flushed the power steering system with Redline fluid
  • Installed a new power steering cap
Results??
  • Power steering fluid still likes to come out... just less. May be the fresher fluid, may be better technique on my part
  • 50 series tires are just too tall. Could probably learn to treat them right, but even though I'm patient, this was a choice on my part not to be THAT patient!
Have fun with it, be smooth, and keep an open mind... some things aren't as obvious as one might think... at least that is my experience.

Mark.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark2002
[*]Power steering fluid still likes to come out... just less. May be the fresher fluid, may be better technique on my part
it will always come out. use a scrunchie or rubberband a rag around the cap and itll be fine.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Default Will do...

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
it will always come out. use a scrunchie or rubberband a rag around the cap and itll be fine.
Yeppers... picked up on that in this thread. Plan to give it a shot my next time out I'll also add it to my "things I changed because of..." list

Mark
Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

once again ive never heard of anyone blowing the cap off the PS. ive raced on slicks with a stock pump, and never blew the cap off. that being said, obviously a flush and fill with synth. fluid is advised; but so is a new upgraded pump. if the OP's pump doesnt whine already, it will after a track day. a turn one or PSC rebuild is a good upgrade/preventative maintenance, and a necessity if youre doing more then one or two events total.
I blew my powersteering cap off at the end of my second day at the Glen. The seals on the pump actually let go and fluid exploded everywhere. There was enough white smoke that people behind me thought my engine let go. I think I'm actually lucky there wasn't a fire even though I have the vetteworks bracket with a fire extinguisher just in case.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the powersteering cap just disappeared too. I've never heard of drilling a hole in it though. May not be a bad idea...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I
Originally Posted by Shockwave179
I blew my powersteering cap off at the end of my second day at the Glen. The seals on the pump actually let go and fluid exploded everywhere. There was enough white smoke that people behind me thought my engine let go. I think I'm actually lucky there wasn't a fire even though I have the vetteworks bracket with a fire extinguisher just in case.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the powersteering cap just disappeared too. I've never heard of drilling a hole in it though. May not be a bad idea...

Shhhhh, us newbs don't know squat Lmao.

I know I wasn't the only guy this stuff happens to.

The small hole in the cap stops it from breaking and blowing off the cap. Makes a Damn mess don't it?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
I blew my power steering cap off at the end of my second day at the Glen. The seals on the pump actually let go and fluid exploded everywhere.
having a pump failure is one thing. that would of course cause things to blow apart. but it simply flying off all by itself with no other reason...........????
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

having a pump failure is one thing. that would of course cause things to blow apart. but it simply flying off all by itself with no other reason...........????
Come on, really?

My pump was whining so loud it sounded like a cat in heat.

The reservoir got so hot it melted the wiring harness that runs behind it.

You reckon there was enough pressure in that reservoir to break the locking ears off the cap and send it flying?

Mine did, 3 times.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark2002
1st of all, I'm no expert (only 3 HPDEs) but here's my experience. My 1st was MSR cresson in Oct 2010. Car was an '02 M6 Z28 with bone stock suspension, brake rotors & calipers, 16x8 wheels (the optional polished ones ) and 245/50R16 tires. The car had bolt-on engine mods (headers, exhaust, lid, etc and a 160deg thermostat). Only "mods" I made specifically for the HPDE were:
  • complete brake fluid flush with ATE Super Blue
  • Hawk HPS brake pads front & rear
  • "street performance" front end alignment
The results of my weekend??
  • HAD A BLAST!
  • Learned power steering fluid will come out of the tank even though the cap is there
  • Learned my 50 series tires REALLY like to roll over when I enter a corner too fast no matter how much air I put in them
  • Listening to the instructors even when what they say seems counter-intuitive I learned how to drive my car better which actually winds up being easier on it
  • Did I mention I had a blast!
Things I changed because of the results of my first weekend:
  • Entered the turns slower
  • Flushed the power steering system with Redline fluid
  • Installed a new power steering cap
Results??
  • Power steering fluid still likes to come out... just less. May be the fresher fluid, may be better technique on my part
  • 50 series tires are just too tall. Could probably learn to treat them right, but even though I'm patient, this was a choice on my part not to be THAT patient!
Have fun with it, be smooth, and keep an open mind... some things aren't as obvious as one might think... at least that is my experience.

Mark.
Great insight! I appreciate your help!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, one more noob power steering pump cap question.

It sounds like many of us have experienced SOME fluid coming out of the cap. One remedy would be to put a rag or scrunchie around the cap to presumably sop up the fluid. Another idea would be to get an extra cap and put a small hole in the top of the cap and then cover it with a rag.

Any reason NOT to put a small hole in the cap? The caps are cheap and I don't mind spending a little extra for that safety of knowing that the pressure isn't going to build up and blow the cap off. Even if it's unlikely that would happen, the only downside to doing this I can think of would be the cost of the cap (which is minimal). Any other reason NOT to drill a small hole in the cap?

As far as the size of the hole -- are we talking pin hole or are we talking about a diameter similar to the size of a standard metal (uncoated) paper clip?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one will argue you will PS lose fluid.
No one will argue you will generate a ****-load of heat in the pump due to valving and subsequent flowrate.
No one will argue that the PS steering system is a weak point.

But experienced one will argue that buzzing the motor to any where near the rev limiter is a gross and unnecessary abuse of the gear which will create all kinds of problems, which include killing the PS system.

If you are Joe Stud and will certainly set FTD, then go ahead and win practice ... and pay a steep price.

Be smart and you will be just fine.

Fold a towel, cover the cap and hold it place with a scrunchie. Or don't worry about it, don't kill your car trying to prove something that is unprovable, have fun ...

Edit:

As a data point ...

I race in CMC and we are very limited on what modifications we can do. Basically, nothing to a motor or engine management.

I have a Turn One pump (before I discovered PSC), small cooler and over-sized aluminum PS reservoir. And on an LT1, it's even remotely mounted. And because I can't alter the PCM, I'm limited to stock revs, but shift at 5300 because that where the sweet spot is for TQ v HP with my gearing.

All that to say ... I still get fluid out of the reservoir. It's not going to stop.

If you are ejecting caps or pushing seals, there are contributing factors beyond entering in your first DE to cause it. If you buzz the motor over 6K lap after lap after lap after lap, then you have to expect bad things to happen.

But my experience tells me that TQ is what drives you out of corners, not RPM. Short shift and you'll be amazed at how much more speed you can carry down a long straight.

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-20-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Mitch is right, I was shifting at 5300-5500 by the tach, I didn't know at that time the factory tach was THAT Slow, but apparently it is. I have since learned real rpm was closer to 6000.

I have since put a PSC pump and cooler on the car and will lower my shift to 5k when I go back to Barber next weekend.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you got it all covered in your first post man. I have not had PS problems yet. Although I could have sworn 01-02 SS cars had powersteering coolers from the factory. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Launching!

good information for first timer..
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Looks like you got it all covered in your first post man. I have not had PS problems yet. Although I could have sworn 01-02 SS cars had powersteering coolers from the factory. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, they do have a cooler but like most things aftermarket is better.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Even mine with a cooler and PSC pump spits some from under the cap. My buddy with the same type car that turns his engine harder than mine only has a Turn One pump without a cooler, his reservoir stays dry.

BTW, running the fluid hot like that shortens the life of your rack and pinion. Mine went **** up recently, blew the seals out of both sides.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Yes, its "cooled" with 210* engine coolant.

Mount a decent radiator for a tranmission and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Even mine with a cooler and PSC pump spits some from under the cap. My buddy with the same type car that turns his engine harder than mine only has a Turn One pump without a cooler, his reservoir stays dry.

BTW, running the fluid hot like that shortens the life of your rack and pinion. Mine went **** up recently, blew the seals out of both sides.

My race car has a Turn One pump AND a 4 pass cooler. I shift at 5300. Still get fluid weep out of the cap.

Quick Reply: First HPDE Checklist -- Thoughts?