Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

FBody's Weakpoints in RoadRacing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013 | 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OutrunNAScaR14
I did a track day the other day with my 2001 TA and half way through my first session i blew my power steering pump cap off and burnt up my pump along with a terrible mess.
This exact thing happened to me too. Somehow the cap stayed in the engine bay, but the dipstick was gone. I ended up duct taping the cap back on (after refilling) and drove home carefully. Bought a Turn One pump because I didn't know about PSC at the time. No matter how much I cleaned the engine bay, it still stunk of powersteering fluid for a long time. The seals in my rack are leaking a little, but I still haven't gotten around to fixing that yet.
Old 05-04-2013 | 12:08 PM
Teching In

I'm also worried a bit about my valvetrain calling it quits in that kind of environment. I'm on stock lifters and rocker arms, so I'm sure beating on for that period of time can't be good for their longevity.....or am I just paranoid?
Old 05-05-2013 | 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Things I discovered I needed after the 2012 Road America event by MFBA:
  • new differential (mine started making all sorts of joyous noises a week later)
  • new/better rear brakes
  • new brake prop valve
  • better seats
  • a roll cage (optional, but after seeing a 5th gen Camaro stuff it into a wall, looked like good insurance - bonus: stiffened the car up)
  • better shocks
  • Better brake fluid
  • A new / better clutch master cylinder

Things I discovered I needed after the 2013 Road America event by MFBA:
  • Brake Cooling ducts for front brakes

The list gets smaller, but it never disappears (that's what happens when you're an addict ). There's always something, but it's only discovered through seat time.
Old 05-05-2013 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeadFarmer
I'm also worried a bit about my valvetrain calling it quits in that kind of environment. I'm on stock lifters and rocker arms, so I'm sure beating on for that period of time can't be good for their longevity.....or am I just paranoid?
BTW, the car in my sig has an internally stock LS1 long block from a 2001 base Corvette. It has a cringe-worthy lifter knock at cold idle, but still delivers the goods. Are you paranoid? Dunno, but this \/\/\/ thing spent a LOT of time in the 4 to 6K RPM range this weekend, and still drove home from the event, and got 23 MPG with a carb as well (granted, I was drafting a Range Rover towing our other HPDE car the entire way home, but why get nit-picky, eh?)
Old 05-05-2013 | 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

We all assume you are doing an HPDE. Will an instructor be in the car with you?

Good pads, fresh brake fluid, overfill the engine oil by a quart. I have not had my PS cap pop off but some fluid always comes out. I have ran that track several times with a similar cam and valvetrain and had not problems. Did I meantion good brake pads already? My 1st time out, I was hitting 130mph on the main straight so standard parts store pads ain't gonna cut it. A good alignment will also be a plus.

Have fun and learn. Oh and leave your pride at home for now.
Old 05-05-2013 | 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

I forgot one warning. This stuff is addictive.
Old 05-05-2013 | 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

I have a power steering cooler on my car and have had no issues with boiling over, its a must IMO or your day will be very short.
Old 05-06-2013 | 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Have fun and learn. Oh and leave your pride at home for now.
Indeed. Get used to pointing by one or more of the following: BMW 3 Series, several varieties of Audi, Subaru WRX (not STi, just the WRX), and something small with an angry bumble bee under the hood.

There'll be Corvettes, GTOs, Mustangs and F-bodies too, but they won't be quite as hard on the ego
Old 05-10-2013 | 11:06 PM
Teching In

Lol getting passed by a car half with my HP will be quite the ego killer lol. Yes there will be an instructor with me. My main worry is my steering and brakes, if neither of those fail on me, I think the weekend should be smooth sailing.

Quick Reply: FBody's Weakpoints in RoadRacing