Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Broomstick test and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broomstick test and Exhaust

Hi All,

I just signed up for my first track day at Laguna Seca and I was wondering if I would have to pass the broomstick test that convertibles have to pass with my T Top. Car is a 2002 t-top camaro Z28 M6 with suspension upgrades from Mr Strano.

If anyone that has experience with this could chime in or point me to a resource I would be grateful.

Also I have the factory SS exhaust system and I am hoping that won't be too loud for the 90db limit at Laguna Seca. Any experience or pointers here would be very helpful as well.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The broomstick test is not going to be an issue with a t-top car.

As for the sound restriction, there are a number of factors that influence the reading (weather conditions, humidity, etc.) however the most important is the distance from the measuring device.

90db is lower than what we see at most of the tracks around here, however the fact that you still have the factory exhaust system indicates you will likely be just fine.

I have a H/C/I car with long-tubes, off-road y and a cutout and I was over the 95 db limit on a Sunday at Road Atlanta. I closed up the butterfly valve in the cutout to push more exhaust through the Magnaflow catback and the spotters said I was well under the limit at that point. They were measuring right beside the track as you enter a full throttle straight stretch so the numbers they were pulling were as high as they could be. All that being said to give you a basis of comparison -- I think you'll be just fine.

Also to help from a basis of comparison, my car was one of the loudest out there at Road Atlanta and there were plenty of well-modified cars with open exhausts that were not running into the 95 db limit.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Midnight!

Quick Reply: Broomstick test and Exhaust