Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Weld RTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weld RTS

With the opening of a new road course nearby, I'm just wondering if it would be ok to use my 17" Weld RTS wheels or if you guys would advise against it. I'm kind of new to the road course scene so if you think the wheel is not up to the task then give me some ideas of what to look for.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Those are very high quality wheels, and they are perfect for track use. What track - Thompson, Palmer?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Palmer. I live about 40 minutes away and can't wait to make a trip.

I wasn't sure if the RTS was considered a good choice for road track use. Thanks for the input.

Have you been to Palmer?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Yes I have quite a few laps there. If it's your first time, I would suggest a day at Thompson first. Lots of rocks to hit at Palmer. It's fun and extremely challenging, but not what I would call safe.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it doesn't look like there's much room for error. What do you think about Thompson? That's not far froming me either. Haven't been there in forever though.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

I have hundreds of laps at Thompson. It's the best place to go to get comfortable on track if you are a novice. It's safe, definitely not as fast as Palmer but still presents its own challenge. Great facilities there, something that can not be said about Palmer. They have been struggling to add proper facilities there.

I always recommend a day a Thompson to a beginner. It's cheap to run there and it's a great place to get your feet wet before tackling Palmer. At Thompson, you can focus on learning your car and the basic driving techniques. You can then take what you learned and head to Palmer, and your day will be more fun because you will be more relaxed out on track.

I don't mean this to be a dig at Palmer, the track itself is incredible and there's nothing like it around. It is VERY technical. I have quite a few days on that track and still haven't layed down a good lap. Other drivers say the same thing. It doesn't give you any time to catch a breath, even the "straights" have corners. Having said that, it's a really cool place that you should experience.

Oh, and the views from the top of the track are incredible. Just don't do what I did and drive off into the grass on a cool down lap because I was taking in the scenery.

Quick Reply: Weld RTS