Where ?
San Antonio Raceway , http://www.sanantonioraceway.com/

When ?

What to bring ?
1. YOU!!
2. Car
3. Helmet
4. Extra rear tires, you WILL kill them
5. Tools! you gotta change your tires! duh!

How much?
$50 to drift, ALL DAY!

$100 For Drift Clinic , come not knowing what drifting is, we will have you smoking the tires the whole course by the end of day! ( also you get to cut in line, and boss around instructors ! )

$100 For Pro Practice , If you just wanna cut in line and kill lots of tires, this is your ticket.

FREE TO WATCH!!!!!

We should have tire mounting available on location, and we will have helpful instructors

Last edited by Louis; 11-19-2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Not in the spirit of road racing.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drifting is not road racing.....
Old 11-18-2004, 03:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well where does it go then? This was the best place i could think of to put it.

ALSO if you plan on coming out to drift:

TECH
same as an auto-x. Make sure all your wheel studs and lug nuts are in good working order, not crossthreaded or missing. The lugnuts must fully rotate 4 times while threaded before getting snug. Spacers are allowed as long as that is met.

BATTERY TIE DOWN. Make sure you have one. Ghettofabbing is awesome, as long as it does the job.

Also make sure your cooling system is up to par. when your sliding at >45* angle the front of the car tends to not get air sometimes. Its a good idea to make sure that 1) your fans are in good working order and 2) you have something up to the task in the radiator. For these type of events I personally reccommend water+purple ice(or similar)

Also make sure to bring plenty of tires. I personally would reccommend at LEAST 6 or so rear tires with %60 or more tread to drift all day. I personally am planning on trying to bring about 12 rear tires, but I am also probably goign to be driving all day non stop.

Also if you have new wheels, make sure to fit them before hand, one guy shoed up a while back, wheels didnt fit. And dont forget your wheellocks if yo have them!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
Well where does it go then?
On a different site altogether?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

michntx, could you please stop trolling in every thread i post on a ls1board. go check page 70 in hotrod this month, im sure youll find it extremely gay.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure I haven't found EVERY thread, yet ...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Drifting is to roadracing what gymnastics is to track.

There are a few problems I've seen when drifting events are combined with roadracing events. It seems to bring what most racers consider to be the "wrong element" to the track. At a race event, we generally leave many expensive tools, parts, etc, laying out in the pits and nobody ever bothers anything. At the events where they have added a drifting event, racers have found things missing. This causes us to now pack and unpack the trailer for every session. Generally, we find this to be a large pain in the ***. Now, I'm not saying drifters are theives or bad people. Just that there are enough of those undesireable people that seem to show up (possibly as spectators) at these events to bring grief to the real racers. If they want to have drifting events, that's great. I don't consider it roadracing (and neither do most others) and hope they stick to holding seperate events and quit trying to combine them with sanctioned race weekends or open track events. You guys are welcome to have fun and enjoy your cars any way you see fit. I just want them to stop trying to force feed this to the road racing community, we're not interested.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

As for where to put it. I'll be honest, you'd probably get a better response out of the general forum than in here. The real road racers are probably not interested (as a whole) and you'll only pick up on the "guys who are interested in handling" that cruise this forum (and possibly a small percentage of those). So, (honest opinion), for maximum exposure, I'd take it to the general forum and hope the "fast and furious" crowd picks up on it. I hate to say that they are your target audience, or they seem to be, but either way, most of them are not located in here.

Have fun and I hope your event is a success (for you personally. Though I'd like to see the whole drifting thing go away myself).

It's not personal. I'm not trying to be a "big meaniehead" or anything, I'm just expressing the point of view of most every racer/competitive driver I know and trying to make a valid suggestion to help you get the best response to your post. I'm sure this can remain a civilized discussion (or go away all together if there is no interest in further discussion, which I'd also understand).

michntx, could you please stop trolling in every thread i post on a ls1board. go check page 70 in hotrod this month, im sure youll find it extremely gay.

Oh, and to be honest, most of us are not happy that this is getting national coverage and being promoted by the magazine crowd. However, they'll ride any trend that will sell a few issues.

Again, just my thoughts.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also make sure to bring plenty of tires. I personally would reccommend at LEAST 6 or so rear tires with %60 or more tread to drift all day. I personally am planning on trying to bring about 12 rear tires, but I am also probably goign to be driving all day non stop.

And I thought roadracing was bad for the tire budget. Of course, you can probably use regular (not R compund) tires.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Well I'm sorry Ohio apparently has the problems yall do. But in Texas most the auto-x/road racing/drifting crowd tends to get along together, and I have personally never seen anythign stolen at our events. I personally have been auto-x'ing for 3 years or so, and got into drifting a while back b/c it was fun sliding a car around a track killing tires. I still Auto-x and am still tryign to afford going to track days. And there is a good number of people very similar to me, several nationally competitive auto-x'ers have been coming to our events having a good time and most the top drifters in the area are very compettive and active in the auto-x crowd as well. So I personally didn't see a problem posting it here, but I guess I will have to make a mental note of it. Sorry you don't see it going anywhere and have a problem with it. But from reading your posts and noticing you live in Ohio it sounds like you have never been to a properly run drift event. Who does the drift events in the area?

And personally I do not want to attract a f&f crowd, we are just looking at people to come to our events and have a good time. The owner of DailyDrifter pays for almost every event out of pocket, has been doing so for a couple years now, and everyone involved is just out there to help the local drifting scene grow in a positive legal manner. We are not out to attract the f&f crowd.

Last edited by mikespeed95; 11-18-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trackbird
And I thought roadracing was bad for the tire budget. Of course, you can probably use regular (not R compund) tires.
Im using a pos nissan 240sx i got for $400 bux, so im basically using azenis sports i auto-x on up front and used tires out back. I normally use take-offs from a BMW dealer one of my freinds works at, as well as getting good tires from discount that they throw away.

Our El Camino however, uses Goodyear Eagle F1 tires that are like couple hundred dollars a pop. www.bubbadrift.com
Old 11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I'm sorry Ohio apparently has the problems yall do. But in Texas most the auto-x/road racing/drifting crowd tends to get along together, and I have personally never seen anythign stolen at our events. I personally have been auto-x'ing for 3 years or so, and got into drifting a while back b/c it was fun sliding a car around a track killing tires. I still Auto-x and am still tryign to afford going to track days. And there is a good number of people very similar to me, several nationally competitive auto-x'ers have been coming to our events having a good time and most the top drifters in the area are very compettive and active in the auto-x crowd as well. So I personally didn't see a problem posting it here, but I guess I will have to make a mental note of it. Sorry you don't see it going anywhere and have a problem with it. But from reading your posts and noticing you live in Ohio it sounds like you have never been to a properly run drift event. Who does the drift events in the area?

And personally I do not want to attract a f&f crowd, we are just looking at people to come to our events and have a good time. The owner of DailyDrifter pays for almost every event out of pocket, has been doing so for a couple years now, and everyone involved is just out there to help the local drifting scene grow in a positive legal manner. We are not out to attract the f&f crowd.

Mike, Mike, Mike. Looking at where I'm from and assuming where I've been is not a smart thing to do.

I crew chief for an AIX/V8ASC (American Iron Exreme/V8 American Supercar) team and have been to many (most) of the major tracks on the eastern 1/2 of the country. I have been to NASA's "Hyperfest" (we had an AIX race there at the same time) in Charlotte, I've been to Road Atlanta (no drifting there when I was there), I've been to Summit Point (Hyperfest), Watkins Glenn, VIR, and most of the others (and I was at the 24 hours of Daytona this year to spectate....rain sucks). I've seen drifting at a few of the places I've been and so far, we've not had good luck with the "crowd". This is not based on a local Ohio thing. I've never seen drifting in Ohio as of yet. This is based on experience covering most of the east coast and none in Ohio. So, I'll correct you statement to say:

Well I'm sorry drifting, in some areas, apparently has some of the problems you've seen.
That would be more correct. I enjoy sliding a car around as much as anyone at times. But, drifting strikes as being more of a really creative burnout competition (donuts on steroids?). I'm not discounting the setup and the fact that there is skill required, I'm just generally against using a car and a track for anything other than driver training or the pursuit of the lowest laptime. I don't think we should be judging motorsports on "form". That's all. It's just against my nature. Again, people collect bottle caps, I don't see any point in that either. So, I just deal with the fact that things will happen in this world that I don't find any value in and there is nothing I can do about it. It doesn't make it a bad thing to do. I'm allowed not to like it and to try to avoid being in the same place as a "bottle cap collectors convention". If they are collecting their bottle caps somewhere on a given day, I'll try not to be there. Same with drifting, if they keep it seperated from the actual track events, they have my blessing to do whatever they want. It's just when we have to juggle a packed track schedule with a drifting event (and the ones I've seen seem to run over their time due to accidents, not always, but several).

I personally don't see any "use" for it myself. I'll not argue that sliding around can be fun on occasion, but to devote a "sport" and valuable track time to such pursuits seems rather odd to me. That's all. But, as I said, I don't have to like it, and that's ok too.

And, I understand not going after the F&F crowd, but I have seen them to be out in full force at the events I've been to. It seems that they are attracted to drifting and would be a good place to generate attendance (the racers don't want them either). My thought was still that you'd probably do better in the "general" forum for a few reasons.

1. This forum is not a really high traffic area.

2. This forum is geared towards racers who (generalization) mostly don't like drifting.

3. The general forum sees much more traffic and you have a better chance of reaching an audience who is not "anti-drifting".

It really was an honest suggestion. If you are involved with these events as a driver or as an organizer, I'm sure you'd like to have as much attendance as possible and in an effort to help you with that goal, I wanted to suggest a change of forum (or a second post). I was honestly trying to be helpful.

Again, just honest discusson, not an attack of any type.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

But from reading your posts and noticing you live in Ohio it sounds like you have never been to a properly run drift event. Who does the drift events in the area?

As a side note.

But from reading your posts and noticing you live in Ohio it sounds like you have never been to a properly run drift event.
That statement strikes me as similar to me saying (just as an illustration).

"I noticed you live in Texas and probably don't know any better".

From reading my posts, it might be possible to develop the idea that I've never been to a properly run drift event (I wouldn't know). But, I'm not sure what Ohio has to do with it.

I don't think it was meant as an attack, but we do have several active SCCA organizations in this area and they do hold the Valvoline Runoffs at Mid-Ohio raceway. Ohio is not exactly backwards as far as motorsports are concerned. I'm not sure that it was meant that way, but I thought I'd mention it.

Who does the drift events in the area?
Nobody that I know of.....
Old 11-18-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

It wasnt an attack. I was just saying that I do not know anyone reputable in the area to do a drifting event, and just going off of what I could assume that possibly you had been to a poorly run event, Ive honestly never seen anyone stealing anything from a pit area before, some homos at Formual Drift round 3 at infenion tried to steal some banners but afaik most of those idiots got waht they deserved for it from the local authorites. And from what you posted it seemed as if you were at a track day of some sort where drifters stole your stuff while they were at an event. I for one have never seen a track day/drift event near each other at the same track but reading by your post it didnt make very much sense and that is all i could make of it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

NASA Hyperfest. They ran races and drifing together. That would be where I ran into "both at the same place". I'm nost sure they are still trying to do that. We were there to run an American Iron Exteme race and they stuffed a few drifting sessions in the middle of the sanctioned racing. That was early last year or at the end of the previous, so it's been a while. I do not have any recent events to use for comparison. So, they have run them together, but I'm guessing they are not doing that any longer. Only a few of our races were at "hyperfest" events and then the car was converted to V8ASC and we've not run any AIX races since (eliminating us from being at any more hyperfests....due to the way a few AIX races were ran, not the hyperfest or the drifting crowds fault we left, not trying to blame them or make it seem so).

Anyway, my only experience was at some of the early events when they tried to combine the events (possibly to get more people interested, or due to lack of attendance to support drifting on its own. Possibly?) and we were not too interested/thrilled/impressed with the idea. But, as stated, we don't have to like it.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fine, I'll be the "meaniehead".

Drifting SUCKS! It is a by product of underground street racing in Japan. I have attended 1 drifting event for all of 20 minutes. 10 of that just to get into the damn event. and the other 10 minutes watching a riced out 240sx with an enormous fart can make more noise than tire smoke. After my ears could no longer take the abuse I left, almost stopping at the gate to ask for my 20 minutes back. that probably would have been easier than asking for my money back.

The drivers of said cars are probably very nice people. Its the crowd of F&F jagoffs that ruin it. I cant even bring my kid to one of these because to the prepubecent little turds and thier language. Everything is "**** this" "**** that" "my ***** ****** **** is better thon yo ***** ****** **** yO!" Every time I hear ofone of these events people have VERY expensive tools turn up missing.

What makes it worse is AFTER these events you see said name pre pubecent little turds are trying to reproduce what they saw in a closed environment on the roads after they leave the event. Then they end up in a ditch upside down or into a building or worse, into a person on the sidewalk. Then it turns into a media field day. And I get lumped into that catagory because I own a "race car" that has been seen on the same track, so according to the media I am now a "drifting menace to society".

Seriously, if I wanted to see cars sliding around all over the place I would go to a mall parking lot when there is "6 of fresh snow on the ground and watch the kids do doughnuts there. Its a hell of alot more exciting.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I could get the whole point of it, I would be better equipped to let it go. I don't see the "competition" part of it. It's all about "judging", like in gymnastics or synchronized swimming.

It is so much of a "look at me" exhibition, that it turns me off. It's like wrestling ...
I just don't crave that kind of ego enhancing attention. Some need it, though.

Peace and you can probably expect similar responses from enthusiasts that frequent these type boards.

I suggest you post this on www.cornercarvers.com ....
Old 11-18-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I suggest you post this on www.cornercarvers.com ....
Oh hell yeah, those boys LOVE drifting.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh, its www.corner-carvers.com
Old 11-18-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc

Oh ****.....

So much for nice......
Old 11-18-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Fine, I'll be the "meaniehead".

Drifting SUCKS! It is a by product of underground street racing in Japan. I have attended 1 drifting event for all of 20 minutes. 10 of that just to get into the damn event. and the other 10 minutes watching a riced out 240sx with an enormous fart can make more noise than tire smoke. After my ears could no longer take the abuse I left, almost stopping at the gate to ask for my 20 minutes back. that probably would have been easier than asking for my money back.

The drivers of said cars are probably very nice people. Its the crowd of F&F jagoffs that ruin it. I cant even bring my kid to one of these because to the prepubecent little turds and thier language. Everything is "**** this" "**** that" "my ***** ****** **** is better thon yo ***** ****** **** yO!" Every time I hear ofone of these events people have VERY expensive tools turn up missing.

What makes it worse is AFTER these events you see said name pre pubecent little turds are trying to reproduce what they saw in a closed environment on the roads after they leave the event. Then they end up in a ditch upside down or into a building or worse, into a person on the sidewalk. Then it turns into a media field day. And I get lumped into that catagory because I own a "race car" that has been seen on the same track, so according to the media I am now a "drifting menace to society".

Seriously, if I wanted to see cars sliding around all over the place I would go to a mall parking lot when there is "6 of fresh snow on the ground and watch the kids do doughnuts there. Its a hell of alot more exciting.

Well since the maturitly level just dropped let me state something.

AFAIK washington has nad NO professional drift events whatsoever. Some dooshbag understeering in a riced out 240sx does not constitute drifting. thats called being a poser. kinda like the 17year old kids on this boards whos mom bought them a ws-6, they go to the track , run high 14's and run their mouth all day. do you see me stereotyping all of you as this person? no. Why? because i have been around long enough to know every group has its dooshbags that make everyone look like an idiot.

now , here are some facts.

Anyone caught acting like an asshat off course at any of our events is IMMEDIATELY kicked out.

Im glad your an expert in japanese culture. but drifting is not "all street racing" in japan. there is a national championship series, as there now is in america (which is sanctioned by SCCA, but i guess those guys are stupid anyways). In america there is the all kinds of santioning bodies. however when i see a firebird/camaro ripped in peices with body bags around it due to some retard thinking they are a racecar driver i am smart enough to say, hey , there is an idiot. not dumb enough to go oh he must be a typical fbody owner. i do not stereotype, nor do i appreciate your unbacked, and ignorant stereotype.

thanks for trying to be an e-thug, but next time actually get some backing to your post other than you went to some poorly run drift event where a bunch of n00b drifters (probably in high school with stock vehicles and NO clue as to anything losely related to car control skill ) maknig asshats out of themselves. that is not what our event is about, they never have been.

Quick Reply: DailyDrifter Grind 101 San Antonio!