TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes and very successfully.

Left foot braking is your friend.

Get a trans cooler ...
Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im alo interested in this but i figured i had a disadvantage wth a a4 trans. I do have a trns cooler but will a trans gauge be also a requirement? Also, wat other techniques might be used to drive successfully? Keep it in the "2" position or "1"?

Also, i wanted to start another thread but anyways....

Wat should i expect if i had an air ride suspension in a autocross or road course atmosphere? Im researching the air ride technology kit, they have one for the third gen so i figured a fourth gen, which i think i read an article about a white camaro with a kit...... should be available.

You guys think that maybe the stress might to much for the bags and ruture?
Im seriously considering this option...
Old 05-25-2005, 12:49 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by obZidian
Im alo interested in this but i figured i had a disadvantage wth a a4 trans. I do have a trns cooler but will a trans gauge be also a requirement? Also, wat other techniques might be used to drive successfully? Keep it in the "2" position or "1"?

Also, i wanted to start another thread but anyways....

Wat should i expect if i had an air ride suspension in a autocross or road course atmosphere? Im researching the air ride technology kit, they have one for the third gen so i figured a fourth gen, which i think i read an article about a white camaro with a kit...... should be available.

You guys think that maybe the stress might to much for the bags and ruture?
Im seriously considering this option...

Personally, there is no replacement for the correct spring, shock, sway bear and control arm, pan hard bar in anything that sees considerable or moderate track time. Keep in mind that most of those systems have on board compressors or at least tanks that add weight. Obviously most road courses and some auto-x courses are realtively smooth, but do "bags" react as fast as shocks?? Just my $.02.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem I see is coming off of a sweeper in 2nd, then when you straighten out, it wanting to kick back down to 1st and you sliding sideways.

But I've seen auto's being autocrossed.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Personally, there is no replacement for the correct spring, shock, sway bear and control arm, pan hard bar in anything that sees considerable or moderate track time. Keep in mind that most of those systems have on board compressors or at least tanks that add weight. Obviously most road courses and some auto-x courses are realtively smooth, but do "bags" react as fast as shocks?? Just my $.02.
true, an onboard compressor will add weight but could be properly placed to induce proper or more efficient weight distribution.

Also, you ask if a bag of pressurized air will react as fast as a spring. Well, i think that it may "react" just as fast or faster if the settings are done right. Te molecules in a spring, though more rigid than air, when compressed, collid with the next one as the energy passes through the spring. Its rate of energy travel is related to the resistance or stiffness (tighter packed molecules) of the spring.

So when looking at a air bag, you have a chamber filled with pressurized air. That is air tightly packed in the chamber. when this "spring" is similarly compressed, the molecules are also colliding and reacting with the energy just like the coil spring. So if the amount of air pressure is equal to the metal, coil spring rate, the air bag can react just was fast.

But since the air molecules are less rigid/not as tightly compacted, thought pressurized as the metal molecules, it has the possibility to react faster than the metal coil spring.

dude, im sure you already knew this and im not (honestly) trying to flex my brain muscles, but i have been thinking about this all day and this is exaclty wat i was thinking....

i do have a question though...i aske a sale rep. about the possible spring rate of a presurized bag at a given ride height and he said that it was impossibel to determine. HMMMM!

Ok, basically, the air bag can lower the car about 2". When the bag is low in air pressure, it lowers the car. And vice versa, when fullor air, the ride height is all the way up. I asked him if he knew the spring rate at 1.5 inch drop so i can compare to my current springs rate (eiback prokit) and he said that he couldnt and that is was impossibel to determine....

again...
HMMMMMMM!!!!

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
The problem I see is coming off of a sweeper in 2nd, then when you straighten out, it wanting to kick back down to 1st and you sliding sideways.
On my 01 A4 if its in 2nd it stays in second all the time. even from a standstill start and even WOT it won't shift into 1st.

I used to AutoX my old 3.4l v6. luckily it didn't have enough power to have to worry about oversteering on corner exits. It took a lot of screwing around with the Konis and Ground control coilover front spring weights to get the setup right.

I dunno how effective an Air ride system would be for Auto X. If you do go that route for sure get the top of the line setup that adjusts the pressure of each corner independently. If you choose the 2 way front/back system you handling will be horrible because the two rear bags will share a single air line line and when you are hard in a turn the outside bag will compress and force the air into the inside bag easily resulting in massive body roll. if eash bag is independently adjustable they won't share an air line and you won't get the pressure transfer from one bag to another in the turns.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, thats new info....

I was looking at their Pro E kit which i think you adjust at each corner but i'll make sure on the 4 ways system...