Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Need video camera recommendation for interior mount while racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need video camera recommendation for interior mount while racing

I recently purchased the I/O Port Video Camera Mount to mount to my 6-point Roll Bar. I'm looking for a reasonably priced digital video camera that provides very good resolution while handling the shock of road racing - providing a clear stable picture. What are you guys using or would recommend?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have had good results with my sony hc-30 . The new hc-42 (or 41?) looks good too. The most important thing I have found for good quality with a small camcorder is to NOT use its digital antishock, and to make sure it is firmly mounted to the car. As long as the camera doesn't rattle at all, your suspension will take care of the rest.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 AM
Teching In

I've used 3 different cameras, Sony, Hitachi and JVC. Can't remember the model no.s but the most important thing is getting a wide field of view. The JVC was the worst, and the Sony was the best. If you want a bit of your own action plus the most side to side view, test each one you shop for to see how wide it shoots before you buy. my .02

Last edited by Black Robe; 07-01-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Robe
the most important thing is getting a wide field of view.
Very good advice.

Consider a decent camorder that will accept external video input.

Then purchase a very small lipstick type camera that you can place anywhere. Have it's video feed the camcorder which you can place anywhere as well.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Then purchase a very small lipstick type camera that you can place anywhere. Have it's video feed the camcorder which you can place anywhere as well.
I have always wanted to do that. Take one and put it inside my helmet so it sees exactly what I do.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Lipstick cameras are neat up until you get to changing light conditions, especially shade to bright sunlight. They really have a tendancy to wash out, but no less, they do get some cool shots. Sony seems to be among the best for image stabilization. And considering mine got dunked on a canoe trip, survived road america hanging out the window on a headrest mount, and taken a hit or two as a mountain bike helmet cam, I can't say enough for it. Don't worry about the camera's angle of view, the problem is easily solved by a screw-on external wide angle lense, starting around $30.

If you do go with a lipstick camera, do your research. Even though they don't give the quality of a regular camcorder, they've come a long way in the last few years, and you don't want yesterday's technology. The newer chips have done a lot to address the wash out effect.

Quick Reply: Need video camera recommendation for interior mount while racing