Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

road race suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road race suspension

I have recently traded up from my 02 M3 to an 01 WS6 and need ideas for suspension to make the thing handle like the M3. I am looking for either an all inclusive package with stuff like subframe connectors, strut tower brace, springs, shocks, sways, and all hardware. If I have to get the parts individually i would like to know where I can get them and what brands work. Im kinda new to the LS1 parts. I don't want to look like som stupid lowrider so im only looking for a mild drop. No compromising performance for looks.

I was looking at the Hotchkis TVS kit with some bilstien shocks. However a good friend (who never has driven a new f-body with that suspension package) told me it might be too soft. I am really looking for something with a good firm (rock solid) feel that'll go well with my new 12 bolt. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:02 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LGM and talk with loius ---->
Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Teching In

sorry, I'm new here. who's louis and whats lgm? thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 08:20 AM

Here's some quality places that will have the hardware you are looking for. I've provideed a comprehensive list of manufacturers. I would not advise going with Eibach springs, as I'm not a fan of variable rate springs. They're a pain. I would also advise not using polyurethane at all in your suspension because of it's problems. Just use 1LE components if possible. Here's a website that can provide you with part numbers on the 1LE; http://www.1le.net/

http://www.hrsprings.com/
http://www.hypercoils.com/

It sounds like you might also consider using rod ends whenever it's possible. A word to the wise on that end, there's alot of places that will sell you control arms and trailing arms with rod ends, but their quality is suspect.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Teching In

i looked at 1LE and thats the package available on stock SSs from GM... I really want something a lot harder than that... I have a friend with polyurethane bushings and hard suspension on his pro touring project '68 and I like the feel, so I might go to polyurethane bushings myself, regardless of how harsh the ride is...
Old 07-16-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by imsto0opid
i looked at 1LE and thats the package available on stock SSs from GM... I really want something a lot harder than that... I have a friend with polyurethane bushings and hard suspension on his pro touring project '68 and I like the feel, so I might go to polyurethane bushings myself, regardless of how harsh the ride is...
It's not the same thing that's available on the SS package cars. Completely different thing all together. The 1LE was intended to homologate these cars into showroom stock road racing, and is way better than that. It's not the same thing, seriously. It's a completely different thing. The reasoning behind avoiding polyurethane, has nothing to do with how hard the ride is, but the fact that it binds, and cold flows with time. You might try asking about this detail on here:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Teching In

oh thanks... i was wondering where all the road racers were!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

If you have the money I would go with the coil over setup for the car. UMI Performance has a set for the front and Spohn has a set for the rear. Both sites have links to the right...that's what I'm saving up to do! After talking to many F-bdoy guys at the AutoX events I go to, they say coil over is the way to go if you have the money.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Default Springs

Im getting G2 Super Springs put on tomorrow. I'll let you know how they are. They are linear, and supposed to be like 40% stiffer in front than the stock SS springs.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Check out www.stranoparts.com

He's won a few professional scca national events. He has a ton of information and carries good deals on suspension for autocrossing and road racing. He will probably recommend you with koni single adjustable shocks and ground control coilover kit. The ground control coil over kit springs can be customized to whatever springrate you want, and they are not progressive rate springs which a lot of people don't recommend.

Definitely look things up on his site and message boards before just buying whatever people recommend because it feels good to them. Im suprised at how poorly engineered most of the aftermarket suspension products are for ls1 cars. Seems like most shocks can't dampen most springs properly, and most springs have a wierd springrate that can't be dampened by most of the available shocks, not to mention strange ride hieghts too.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Teching In

He's right.... Sam will give you good ideas! By the way, SCCA Solo2 National is not a pro event. If it was, I'd be a millionaire.

JK

Quick Reply: road race suspension